Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.

TOPIC:

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3983

• claire.saunders@solent.ac.uk
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning! I am working from home again today so I thought I would try this one more time. Having uninstalled and downloaded XAMPP again, the Apache Server still won't start. I have discovered via the XAMPP forums that this is a common and long-standing issue with XAMPP on a Mac, and several people are suggesting MAMP as an alternative as this seems to work fine. Being a novice with all this, it seems to offer the same things as XAMPP, but I wanted to check before I download - would this be a suitable alternative to use with XERTE?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3984

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 246
Mamp should be fine. That said whatever is preventing Apache on xampp from starting might prevent Apache on Mamp too. Just a thought do you have Skype running on start up? If so quit Skype completely and then try xampp again. I doubt that's the reason but worth a try.

If you do try Mamp instead just make sure Apache and MySQL run before even trying to install xerte.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3985

I didn't have Skype running, so I don't think this is the issue. I have downloaded MAMP and Apache and SqL are running. However, I am now experiencing the 'object not found' message again.
Any ideas?

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3986

• JohnSmith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Claire,

Is it possible that your Mac's built in Apache service is running and interfering with XAMPP? XAMPP wont start if this is running...

To turn off, open a console and type:
sudo apachectl stop

It will prompt for your password and should return with no message if the service was running and is now stopped. If it wasn't running you will get an error like:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist: Could not find specified service

If you don't see that error when you run the command above then that was most likely the reason for XAMPP Apache not starting and you should now be able to start it. If not then as Ron says, other applications can also interfere and Skype is one of the usual culprits - quit all apps by long licking on any with a dot under their icon and selecting Quit - closing it is often not enough...

John

Last edit: by JohnSmith.

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3987

I am now using MAMP, which is running and showing Apache and mySQL as running. Could the Mac Apache still be interfering.
If so, and forgive my ignorance, but wha do you mean by 'open a console'?
Thanks,
Claire

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3988

• JohnSmith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi,

If Apache is now running in MAMP then it's unlikely that the Mac service is running so this won't be the cause - i'll need to have a read over the rest of this Forum post to figure out what you have tried and haven't in terms of your initial/current error.

I meant a Terminal window that you would find in Applications -> Utilities - sorry for the confusion.

John

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search