Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.

TOPIC:

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3976

• claire.saunders@solent.ac.uk
  • Thank you received: 0
Apache Web Server shows green, ProFTPD server shows green. My SQL database has the red failed icon. What I don't understand is that previously all three were running fine - I uploaded a screen shot earlier in this thread.
I am sure the problem has something to do with the fact that I am an instructional designer not a programmer, so I am trying to follow instructions I don't fully understand!
I do need to try to get this working if at all possible, so I really value your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3977

Also, in the online installer, this makes no sense to me: (I can't find 'ini file'??)
The PHP "File uploads" setting
Look in the Ini file for file_uploads = and set the value to be On: OK
Look in the Ini file for upload_tmp_dir = and set the value to a path outside of the public area available to visitors to the web server (e.g if you are using XAMPP - you should not put the temp directory in the HTDOCS folder): try changing this setting to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/temp/
Look in the Ini file for upload_max_filesize = and set the value to an amount that you want to be the maximum file size you can upload. The format for this setting is the number, then the letter 'M': 128M
Look in the Ini file for post_max_size = and set the value to an amount that you want to be the maximum size of post data allowed. The format for this setting is the number, then the letter 'M': 128M
PHP advise you set this value to be slightly greater than the upload_max_filesize.
Look in the Ini file for memory_limit = and set the value to an amount that you want to be the maximum amount of memory in bytes that a script is allowed to allocate. The format for this setting is the number, then the letter 'M': 128M

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3978

Ok, I have now found the ini file. All settings were as they should be as far as i could see. SO I saved it, closed it and then the install instruction said restart your terminal. Googled how to do this on a mac - it didn't work and now the Apache server has stopped running!
It's all very well Xerte being easy for teachers/instructional designers to use, but when the install is this complicated..!
Help!

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3979

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
I can appreciate your frustration but we need to step back a bit here and contextualise this...

Xerte Online Toolkits is a free and open source web application similar to other free and open source web applications like Moodle and Mahara and of course many others. Each of these have similar goals to empower teachers and learners but primarily they are online tools that need to first be installed and configured on a live web server by a server administrator. Once up and running anyone who is granted access to that installation can use the tool from anywhere via a web browser and internet connection. Typically educational organisations will have webservers already running where Xerte Online Toolkits can be installed, or can set one up and if there isn't the internal expertise or time to do so then there is consultancy support and/or external hosting available.

It just so happens that these applications can also be installed and configured on a local web server like xampp and this can be easy to do but you do need to ensure that whatever webserver you are using is running properly before trying to install Xerte. This local combination is mostly used by developers for testing and developing these tools and xampp for instance isn't meant for use on a live production server. Unfortunately on a Mac it can also be a bit more tricky because of permissions that need to be changed on particular folders.

My suggestion would be to remove your current xampp install and start again. Make sure xampp is working including Apache and MySql before even trying to install Xerte.
Or speak to your IT team and ask about a proper webserver installation because it's only that way that you get all the benefits of authoring from anywhere and sharing and collaboration that comes from a liver server rather than just a local server that nobody else can access.

By all means continue to post your questions and progress here but it's obviously holiday time for a lot of people so responses may not be very prompt.

Also the evidence is long established now about the benefits of Xerte and the number of organisations using it worldwide xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=2 so in many ways the first step for anyone should be to get that institutional install rather than trying it out locally first. Or sign up for a low cost external account via www.learningapps.co.uk or www.12change.eu/

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Last edit: by ronm.

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3980

Thank you. I fully understand the context, and there was no intention to be critical, so apologies if that was how it sounded. Based on the fact that it was possible to do a single install I mistakenly assumed this would be a simple app download - which I quickly realised that it wasn't. This would have helped me simply in terms of the fact that I regularly work from home, but I will be able to access when I am in the office so that will suffice.
Thanks for your help.

Object not found! 7 years 7 months ago #3981

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
It should be easy enough but time consuming to troubleshoot via forum messages etc. Some older but still mostly relevant videos that might help although all Windows rather than Mac

youtu.be/P1FkRgjfb0M

vimeo.com/95769541

vimeo.com/62163972

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: claire.saunders@solent.ac.uk

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search