Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 1 week ago #8903

• Nan Zhang
  • Nan Zhang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am currently working with a Bootstrap template that follows a specific content hierarchy:

Project/
|
|-- Page/
|-- section 1
|-- section 2
... # Etc…

For more complex documentation resources, it would be beneficial to have the ability to create sub-pages within a page. This would allow for a more organized and detailed documentation structure, as outlined below:
Project/
|
|-- Page 1/
|-- Sub page 1
|-- section a
|-- section b
|-- Sub page 2
... # Etc…

I'm interested in knowing if this structure is achievable within the current constraints of Bootstrap templates. Any guidance or suggestions on how to implement this would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 6 days ago #8905

• Jonathan Smith
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Nan

I don't know whether what you have asked for is possible, but I haven't felt the need for more complexity in the organisational structure of Bootstraps.

One suggestion I have is that when you are at the section level you add a Navigator (I'd suggest the Accordion format, and set it on Collapsed when users come to the page), so that effectively you are adding subsections.within sections. To be honest, I think this would look nicer than having drop-downs from the left-hand menu.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 6 days ago #8906

• Nan Zhang
Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I must say that's exactly what we did in our own practice: using accordions to conceal information that may not be immediately necessary to users as they navigate through the document. However, this approach does lead to a significant amount of information being concealed, necessitating additional effort from users to access it, which might not align with the best practices in terms of accessibility. Considering we are in the process of creating an extensive resource to cover all the digital education tools used in our VLE, it would be beneficial to have the capability to create a sub-level beneath the main page to better organise the complexity of the content. Nonetheless, I truly value your advice on this matter.

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 6 days ago #8910

• Jonathan Smith
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Nan

I hadn't realised that you were working on a large-scale project dealing with large numbers of LOs, or that you are at Cardiff (I did a bit of googling), which I understand has made an institution-wide commitment to Xerte going back many years! Let's see if other community members have suggestions.

Best wishes

Jonathan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nan Zhang

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 6 days ago #8911

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Nan,

When I have a larger project I split it up in different bootstraps and link the bootstraps to each other. In another case I used the stand alone pages. You can't see them unless you click on a link to open thema. It is also possible to hide thos pages with a password. Is this something you can use?

Bye,
Inge
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nan Zhang

Bootstrap content hierarchy 2 months 5 days ago #8912

• Nan Zhang
Thanks Inge, I will take the advice on board and explore a few more options suggested.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search