Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Results page before final Plain Text page - Completion 97 percent on Results 1 year 9 months ago #8179

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte Community,
I have developed a Xerte which incorporates Multiple Choice Quizzes and various standard simple page types (no customisation).
The Results page is not the final page, there is a Text > Plain Text page as the final page, positioned after the Results page.

The Xerte resource is not graded therefore no interaction is required with the grade centre.

When the Xerte is played/previewed in Xerte Online Toolkits editor (when creating the Xerte), the Results page displays Completion 100% even when the final page (Text > Plain Text) has not been played/visited. I have not added the Optional Property 'Completion not required' to the final plain text page. I have not used the page type Tracking > Stop Tracking as the final page.

The Results page displays Completion 97% and not Completion 100% when the Xerte LO is on the VLE. That 97% completion occurs when playing with Student Preview (Original) and Participation Preview (ULTRA).

When I play the Xerte logged in as a student on the VLE, the Results page displayed 97%.

To work-around the problem, if the end-user selects the NEXT/Forward icon to visit the final page (plain text page) and then selects the Back icon, the Results page PDF displays 100%.

Should the Optional Property ‘Completion not required’ have been added to the last page? Or should the last page have been the ‘Tracking > Stop Tracking’ page?

When Xerte LO is 'Public' and available via a URL, then the Results page does display completion 100% before I have visited the final page plain text page. I just tested that using an example Xerte I created incorporating the Results page followed by plain text page as the final page.

If I should have added the Optional Property 'Completion not required' to the final plain text page, or if I should have used the Tracking > Stop Tracking page (although I don't think I needed to do that as this Xerte is not graded), then is there a way that a pop-up message could appear reminding the creator of the Xerte to add the Optional Property 'Completion not required', as i hadn't thought about this, when perhaps i should have. I didn't think about it, and a pop-up message perhaps presented on the Results page reminding creator to include 'Completion not required' Optional Property would be helpful please.

Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback.
Best wishes
Anne
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Results page before final Plain Text page - Completion 97 percent on Results 1 year 9 months ago #8180

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Anne
a few very quick comments:
To simulate what you get via SCORM when using play/preview add the tracking optional property and tick the box to force tracking mode. You might then see the same results page behaviour via play/preview.
The 'Completion not required' option is there for exactly this reason but I'm afraid a pop-up message is not likely because there are other scenarios where completion may not be triggered as you've seen before when there is non-linear navigation involved. It isn't just about the results page being before your plain text page and the guidance you should provide is that any and all pages that users might bypass or not visit for some reason should have the completion not required option set.
The stop tracking page is really just to ensure that the results are sent to the VLE/LMS rather than relying on the closing of the window/LO to trigger that and should normally be the very last page. In tracking mode you should also see the save session button which will also send the results at whatever point you click that.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ronm.
  • Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search