• Page:

TOPIC:

position of the menu 5 days 13 hours ago #9245

• IMED
  • IMED's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Jonathan,

I hope you're doing well.

I’m currently working on a project in Xerte that involves content in Arabic, which requires a right-to-left (RTL) layout. I would like to adjust the position of the menu to be on the right side of the page and also ensure that the text is aligned from right to left.

Could you please guide me on how I can:

Move the menu from the left to the right side of the page?
Set the text to follow an RTL (right-to-left) alignment?
Any advice or instructions you can provide on how to implement these changes would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
imed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

position of the menu 5 days 7 hours ago #9246

• Jonathan Smith
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Imed

I'm doing fine, and I hope you are also well!

I'll deal with RTL first because that's quite straightforward. In any editor window in Xerte you should be able to change to RTL, using an icon that usually displays in the bottom row of the Toolbar (xerte.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=texteditor) I've also attached a screenshot of the icon to help you find it. I don't think you can set up the project (or the installation) so that RTL is the default for all editor windows, but colleagues with a better technical understanding than me may be advise differently.

You asked about having the menu on the right side of the screen? I'm guessing this is for pages such as Interactive List, MultiNavigator and Tabbed Navigator+, where you click on a menu item either to reveal more text, or to take you to a different page. I think the only page which will allow you to put the menu on the right and text on the left is MultiNavigator, because you can add an Optional Property (called Panel Layout) which allows you to do this. You will also want to ensure that the menu items display RTL, and to do this you will have to add a bit of code through the Source View. You'll need to add dir="rtl" within the <p> tag for the relevant. For example, <p dir="rtl">author</p> will ensure that the word "author" is right-justified as a menu item. Again, colleagues with a better technical understanding may have more to offer you on this.

I hope this is useful. When I have time, I will try to collate some more information on authoring in languages other than English, and make it available to the Xerte community.

Best wishes

Jonathan
Attachments:

position of the menu 5 days 6 hours ago #9247

• IMED
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your detailed response, it has been very helpful!

However, I’m still having some difficulty moving the menu from the left side of the screen to the right. I’ve attached an image showing how the current menu is positioned on the left side. I would like to move this menu to the right while keeping the RTL direction for the text.

If you have any further suggestions or could direct me to an expert who might be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Imed
Attachments:

position of the menu 5 days 3 hours ago #9248

• Jonathan Smith
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Imed

Thanks for emailing me the image, which makes your question much clearer. One of the things we tried to do when creating the Xerte wiki was to standardise Xerte terminology so that in situations like this we all understand one another. Your image shows the authoring interface, with the Project Structure pane on the left, the Optional Properties pane on the right, and the Main Pane (where most of the authoring takes place) in the middle. The Glossary page of the wiki ( xerte.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=glossary ) provides a list and explanation of key Xerte terminology.

I think you are talking about the possibility of re-arranging the positions of the 3 panes. I have no idea if this is possible, but I'm confident one of our Xerte colleagues will know the answer.

Best wishes

Jonathan
The following user(s) said Thank You: IMED

Last edit: by Jonathan Smith.

position of the menu 3 days 5 hours ago #9249

• IMED
Hi Jonathan,

I hope you’re doing well.

I’m currently working on creating educational content using Xerte and would love to get some inspiration from existing projects, especially those that involve courses with exercises and quizzes. Could you please share any examples or resources that showcase how Xerte has been used to create interactive learning materials?

I’m particularly interested in projects that incorporate various types of quizzes and exercises to engage learners.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

position of the menu 14 hours 16 minutes ago #9258

• Jonathan Smith
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Imed

This is my Xerte website aimed at people using Xerte to create online language learning materials, created in Bootstrap. It includes links to resources. languagehub.uk/xerte/play.php?template_id=326 Bootstrap doesn't have interactivity built in but you can embed learning objects (LOs) created in XOT in it, as I have done in my website.

Here's an XOT, again aimed at people in language education, who are interested in authoring in Xerte. It has demos of the interactivity pages types that I use regularly. languagehub.uk/xerte/play.php?template_id=326 .

I work in English as a second language, and here are a few examples of learning materials I have created in XOT.;
- Listening and notetaking on the topic of sleep languagehub.uk/xerte/play.php?template_id=500
- Language for making comparisons languagehub.uk/xerte/play.php?template_id=309
- Understanding the difference between active and passive verb forms languagehub.uk/xerte/play.php?template_id=486

I'm always happy to talk to people about Xerte, so do email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you would like to set up a meeting.

Best wishes

Jonathan Smith

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search