Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7915

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
Hopefully I can make some recommendations as I have been undertaking some testing.
Test conditions: Firefox and Chrome browser on a laptop.

NVDA screen-reader testing with:
MCQ Multiple Choice Quiz - do not use as the feedback is not read out aloud by the screen-reader.
Quiz - use with the manually added code in to the Script Optional Property so that feedback is read out aloud and question 2 is read out aloud properly by the screen-reader.
Navigators Accordion - do not use as the keyboard will not navigate to each tab.
Navigators Tab - do not use as the keyboard users can navigate to each tab area but not open the area therefore the NVDA screen-reader does not read content out aloud as navigation by keyboard only will not open the tab content.
Navigators Button - do use as the keyboard users can navigate to each Button tab and the NVDA screen-reader reads out aloud.

xerte.northampton.ac.uk/xertetoolkits/play_4797

Perhaps you can share your findings.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7916

• julian_admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
It might be worth checking in with the developer team before making blanket statements like 'do not use' Anne, we have worked hard on the Accessibility side of things, and some aspects of the accessibility side of things are quite nuanced: I wouldn't want people to take away the wrong impression that 'xerte is not accessible', which is very much not the case. It would be better to raise the issues with us to see where our thinking is at please,

Julian

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7917

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Indeed Julian - I'm afraid your statements are at best misleading and at worst totally incorrect Anne. I'm sure you have the best of intentions but these are public forums and so much of this is difficult enough for non-technical users to understand so incorrect statements and guidance is not good. Unfortunately I don't have time to respond fully right now but as I have suggested to you previously you really have to learn NVDA and/or any other screen reader tool you plan to use fully before testing and making statements like this. There ARE some issues that can be improved upon but this is always the case and there is nothing that makes any of these pages completely inaccessible to screen reader users. Also you should not need any custom code for the page types you have listed. 3.10x has the improvements that the code previously shared with you was designed to temporarily fix.

Some quick additional comments below but as I say I don't have time to respond further at the moment.

MCQ page
This works fine with screen readers including NVDA. It is true that the feedback after hitting check isn't automatically announced but it is still accessible and will be read out by moving to whatever the feedback contains e.g. down arrow in NVDA. We can look at changing this to auto announce but this certainly doesn't mean that the MCQ is inaccessible or should not be used.

Quiz
works fine and no custom code should be needed.

Navigators
as a general point the old separate navigators are deprecated and should not be used in new projects and will not show as an option in new projects. This is because the multi-navigator provides all of the separate navigator modes and other options that the older individual navigators did not.
Multi-nav - Tabs and Buttons modes:
These work fine and all the content can be accessed using NVDA and/or other screen reader tools.
Multi-nav - Accordion:
There does seem to be a possible issue with this mode which we will investigate and fix. However again this doesn't mean that this page/mode is completely inaccessible to a screenreader and should not mean that it should not be used. As has been the case with the OU if you have expereienced screen reader users who find difficulties with this mode or any other please post specific details and we will investigate and fix if possible.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7918

• annem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Ron, Julian and the Xerte community,

I posted with best intentions and I apologise for presenting my findings.

Should I have posted on the category for Developers?

I had posted a question about this about 6 days ago on this forum, but unfortunately there were no responses.

I felt that sharing my findings after I had done some testing may help others, and it was with good intention.

I certainly did not mean to offend.

Best regards
Anne

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7919

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Anne
the point is you went from unanswered questions to misleading statements/recommendations. You didn't just share your findings you represented those as recommendations and as I have outline in most cases incorrectly.
Our responses on the forums are voluntary and unfortunately not enough community members help each other here until they need help themselves so if we don't have time I'm afraid it might be 6 days or longer before we do.
Accessibility is the correct forum and if you posted to the developer forum it would make no difference to the speed of response.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Testing NVDA screen-reader with MCQ, Quiz and various Tab Navigators 2 years 1 month ago #7920

• annem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Please delete my post.
Regards
Anne

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search