Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7720

• alimcn
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Geri,
Which were the key elements that were behaving unexpectedly?
I've noticed the repetition of the text for each quiz response. I've not been able to get access directly to your Xerte resource but I've experienced similar things testing H5P quizzes - I wonder if the button is picking up the label from the quiz answer option. Would it be an issue if you switched from scan mode to edit mode? Ironically I've found several occasions where Windows Narrator gives a better user experience of M/C quizzes than NVDA but I'm not an expert user in either so it's hard to disentangle human error from screenreader quirks or coding quirks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7721

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Geri
I've had a quick look at the two recordings but I can't really tell if you are doing anything different when going from one question to the next.
I would suggest you get whoever looks after your installation to download the latest xertetoolkits_3.10 or xertetoolkits_update_3.10 which includes the fix I added to the model file and although I haven't tested that with Jaws it works with NVDA and should be the same with Jaws. We should also be clear here that the fix I added is in response to the original issue reported where the focus changes back to the top of the LO when changing question rather than staying within the question area. As far as my testing goes the focus now remains in the question area and that seems to be the case in your recordings too.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7722

• Huzar
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Both,

Thank you for your quick responses.

The difference I experienced between JAWS and NVDA was when you select the 'Next question' button. For both JAWS and NVDA the focus goes to the button as expected. JAWS then immediately started to read the text from the left of the activity again, so 'When you select search terms, these should reflect the purpose of your search....' When I press Enter I am taken to the next question and the focus does remain in the question area, as requested.

I will ask our developer to download the latest update and see how that works.

I have tested something else recently and had a different experience with NVDA and JAWS. I agree it's difficult to disentangle human error from screenreader quirks or coding quirks. It also isn't possible to test with all the different screen readers. We test with JAWS as some students are given it as part of their DSA.

Best wisehs,
Geri

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7725

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Geri
Thanks for confirming the difference between what you get with Jaws vs NVDA with the custom code in place. Are you saying that with the custom code removed and before upgrading you don't get that difference and Jaws doesn't automatically re-read the intro text?
There's obviously a difference between what has focus and what get's automatically read aloud via Aria tags. The code I changed was just changing what gets focus not what is read aloud via aria etc.
Anyway please upgrade and then test and report back.
HTH
Ron

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7733

• Huzar
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Ron,

I've looked into this further using our Xerte test site and live Being digital website. Hopefully what I've written below is clear. If not, I'm happy to create a video and/or provide further information.

Being digital site - Choosing good keywords www.open.ac.uk/libraryservices/beingdigi...ctivity/XK1101#page1
This site has been upgraded to the latest version of Xerte, but doesn't have the new custom code.

Question 1 - JAWS read this, I selected an answer and pressed Submit. If I selected Insert + down arrow before tabbing to the 'Next question' button JAWS read the activity from the heading, text on the left and then question 1 again.
If I tabbed to 'Next question' after listening to feedback, JAWS announced 'Next question button, to activate press Enter'.
When JAWS moved to question 2, it read the activity heading and text on the left, before reading the activity questions.

Xerte test site Choosing good keywords lib-xerte.open.ac.uk/play.php?template_id=101#page1
This site has been upgraded to the latest version of Xerte and has the new custom code.
Question 1 - JAWS read this, I selected an answer and pressed Submit. If I selected Insert + down arrow before tabbing to the 'Next question' button JAWS read the activity from the heading, text on the left and then question 1 again.
After listening to feedback, if I then tabbed to 'Next question' JAWS read text on the activity heading and then text on the left not 'Next question'. However, the focus stayed on the 'Next question' button and when I activated it by pressing Enter I went to the next question.
JAWS read question 2 as expected (i.e. it didn't read the text on the left first)

I may have missed this detail for JAWS when testing the custom code before it was applied

Best wishes,
Geri

Quizzes and audio player controls 2 years 5 months ago #7734

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi Geri
we have a Xerte developer day scheduled for Thursday this week so I'll have a look at this again then and discuss with colleagues. However a few comments in response to what you have detailed:

Being Digital Site - this doesn't appear to be the latest version of Xerte and I'm guessing you mean that it is 3.10 but not the latest 3.10? As far as I can see it is version 3.10-1-10 and the latest change in that revision was July 29th 2021. To be clear custom code = the quick fix I sent you previously to resolve the focus issue that you could add to individual LOs. Updated code = the core code I changed to address the focus issue and this isn't included in this installation. I can't verify the same for your test site (see below).

Xerte test site - this doesn't appear to be public facing so I can't check your example link or verify if it has the code changes I committed. If you login and hover over the info icon bottom left or visit /version.txt that will confirm the version number? Or visit /ChangeLog.html to view the most recent changes included in the version installed. The change I made for this was on 5th Oct 2021.

I don't think you directly answered my previous question: "Are you saying that with the custom code removed and before upgrading you don't get that difference and Jaws doesn't automatically re-read the intro text?" However from what you have described I think the same thing happened with Jaws with or without any code changes e.g. Jaws reads the intro text each time?

Do you have any developers at the OU that could contribute to this and help with ensuring this works with Jaws in the way you want it to? Or a budget to contribute to the developments needed?

HTH
Ron

Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search