Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2962

• martavbvs
  • martavbvs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

Just when I thought I was starting to get to grips with Xerte 2.1 we get a new version that is said to be much better, so I’ve installed the new version on top of the old. All seems to be well and it imported the few users I've created. I'm using MySQL to keep the user's logins for now. I don't have Moodle.
My feelings are that there is something wrong with my installation now as it is ever so slow to load anything! Like going thru treacle! Much slower than our dated intranet really! My previous installation was very fast! I wonder if it could be something introduced in the code that is causing the bottleneck. Has anybody here experienced this?
It also did not automatically keep my previous projects but it is not a big deal because I was just playing with the template.

Regards,

Marta de Souza
Senior IT Technician
Bromley Adult Education College

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martavbvs.

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2989

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
What's the details of your server e.g. php and MySQL version etc?
Try an additional/new clean install on the server does that suffer the same speed issues?
Upgrading 2.1 to v3 shouldn't have any impact on speed but I did notice an impact on an older local test installation with a very old version of xampp where a clean install was fine but an upgrade seemed slow. So it would be useful to know more details about your server configuration.

Also check the webserver logs and xerte error logs if you have debugging set.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: martavbvs

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2990

• martavbvs
Hi Ron,

Server running Windows Server 2012 R2, IIS version 8.5.9600, PHP 5.6, MySQL 5.1) and it was working fine until I’ve upgraded to Xerte Version 3. No error logs on Xerte. I don't think I've set debugging on. I'll read the instruction to get it set.

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2991

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
In the xerte config.php look for the following:

global $development;
$development = true;

ini_set('error_reporting', 0);
if ($development) {
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
// Change this to where you want the XOT log file to go;
// the webserver will need to be able to write to it.
define('XOT_DEBUG_LOGFILE', '/tmp/debug.log');
}

set development to true and in define('XOT_DEBUG_LOGFILE', '/tmp/debug.log'); set/change the log file location to somewhere writable if /tmp/debug.log isn't a valid location.

I would try a clean new v3 install and see if the speed of that is ok and also if the installer picks up any issues during installation.

You could also use the browser console or a tool like fiddler to watch the code loading and spot any issues.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2995

• martavbvs
Hi Ron,

I've turned on debugging but did not get anything and yes, the program can write to the folder.
Then I've done a clean install and was able to at least create projects with the toolkit but I cannot play them back after publishing so I believe it is to do with our firewall that is very strict.
It does tend to block anything with method GET in the code.
I'll have to look into it.

Thanks.

Marta

Got New Version of Xerte Installed 8 years 8 months ago #2999

• martavbvs
This is as yet another update on this, just in case it is helpful to anybody else here.

Xerte is still running slow even after creating a firewall rule to let Xerte traffic go unchecked but at least it is no longer blocking the method GET any more.

I've noticed another glitch, though, to do with uploading pictures.

I've created a project with one object (media\Advanced Image) and uploaded a picture with spaces in the name and it seemed to upload fine and I've checked that the file was really uploaded to the server with the correct name but when I've tried to play the project back I've got an error 404 object unreachable for the picture.

I then edited the name of the file directly on the server, edited the project and pointed to the file already on the server and this time round it did work.

Not sure if this is still related to the firewall issue or not. Still investigating.

Xerte does not recognize any of my previous projects but, again, they were only tests and it is not a big deal for me but may be for others.

Cheers,

Marta

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search