Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to use Chinese font 4 years 10 months ago #5711

• ymoore
  • ymoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi

Is it possible to add fonts to Xerte? An academic who teaches Chinese wants to use a font called Kaiti, as this would match the font she's using in Moodle. Has anyone done this? Or have advice on how to do this?

I provided instructions on adding a Google Font (Noto Sans SC - simplified Chinese) but it isn't close enough to Kaiti.

Thanks
Yvonne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to use Chinese font 4 years 10 months ago #5713

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Yvonne
if you have provided instructions on how to add a Google font and someone has enabled use of the font in Moodle then a similar process would probably apply. You would need to check licensing but I guess someone has done that if already in use in Moodle. If a collection of font files have been added to Moodle then those same font files would need to be added to Xerte somewhere and then referenced in the css. Probably the easiest would be a custom theme with the font files part of that theme.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

How to use Chinese font 4 years 10 months ago #5715

• ymoore
  • ymoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks Ron.

The Google Font was my work-around in Xerte but I think in Moodle they're accessing some additional fonts add by our Computing team.

So if I can get hold of the font file (and license permitting) would it need to sit in a theme folder? Or can we add it to whereever the other fonts are stored so that it can be accessed from the drop-down menu on the text-editor?

Cheers
Yvonne

How to use Chinese font 4 years 10 months ago #5716

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Yvonne
I don't have time to double check right now but I don't think the fonts listed in the drop down menu of the text editor are dynamically populated from a font folder. In fact I'm pretty sure they aren't. If you select a bit of text and then choose one of those font styles you'll see that span tags and font-family settings are added. You could manually change those font-family settings to Kaiti as long as that font is loaded somewhere but I would think it's far better to add custom css or a custom theme that applies the font to para and heading styles etc across the whole LO.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search