Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 6 years 2 months ago #4967

• helenmd
  • helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi all,

Is it possible to generate usage stats, or analytics for a particular Xerte Learning Object? Here in Swansea, we use Blackboard and import our Xerte LOs as SCORM objects. However, we have some study skills modules that have been created by our librarians, and there are several learning objects in a single module with over 20,000 users.

While it is possible to generate stats from Blackboard, running reports with that volume of users slows the system down drastically. I'm therefore trying to think of a way around this.

My initial thoughts are to use Google Analytics within each Learning Object.

My two questions therefore would be a) Is anyone using google analytics or any other form of analytics within Xerte and b) if you are, what sort of statistics can you generate from it?

Many thanks in advance

Helen

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 6 years 2 months ago #4971

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
I'm sure you're aware that there are some very basic 'play count' stats available by clicking the workspace icon, then properties > stats but that obviously is very basic.

At the moment if you want to use Google analytics you can easily add your analytics code to each LO that you want to track or if you want to track every single LO you'll need to add the tracking code to one or more of the server files. The trouble with that is keeping track of customisations and re-applying after future upgrades.

I'll add an item to our todo list to look at the best way to provide an easier way to do this.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: helenmd

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 6 years 1 month ago #4995

• helenmd
  • helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Ron,

Apologies, I forgot to say thank you for this. It's much appreciated.

Helen

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 2 years 10 months ago #7456

• rsadler
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

We're just getting started with Xerte and I'm attempting to add a Google Analytics tracking tag to our first tutorial.

Ron, I can see you've said above that the tag can be easily added to each LO but I'm wondering where the best place is. Could anyone help?

Google suggest adding to the <head> section but I can't see a way to access that section of the HTML on the tutorial. I tried adding it using the Script optional property on the root page since I think the tracking tag is javascript (am I right?) but that seemed to break the tutorial. I've currently added it to the source code for the main body of the title page but I'm thinking there must be a better place!

We have an institutional installation of Xerte so I can't easily get access to the server files.

Many thanks in advance!
Rosa

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 1 year 6 months ago #8371

• annem
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte Community,
Referring to original post (about 4 years ago). It was on the 'To Do' list for investigation.

Is there any progress with a function/feature to use Google analytics in Xerte?

My colleague has written: “The next stage is working out how we monitor usage and I wondered if you know anything about how to embed Google Analytics code into Xerte activities?"

My colleague is asking: “Any ideas about what code in the activities needs editing and how we can do it please?”

Aim
An administrator would monitor the usage of the Xerte Bootstrap resource using Google Analytics, and we are wondering if and how this could be set up?
I note that in previous post it is noted that future upgrades could affect customisation made.

Has there been any further work in this Google analytics area?

Several questions and hopefully Xerte Developers or Expert users can help us.
Best regards
Anne

Google (or other) analytics in Xerte? 1 year 2 months ago #8460

• victoriavika
  • Thank you received: 1
Just following up on this post to see if anyone has any idea?
I've now have the same question and would really like to go beyond the VERY basic statistics (literally just the number of plays) that Xerte has (as Ron pointed out above), I would at least like to have a time period attached to the number of plays....

any recommendation appreciated!

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search