Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7755

• teacherjonny
  • teacherjonny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I get this message. I installed xerte last night on my home desktop computer and got to the start screen. But today I can't figure out how to launch the program.
Please help. Isn't xerte supposed to create a shortcut for the desktop or something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7756

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Hi,

No, no shortcut is created, as Xerte is intended to be installed on a webserver. You can install it on your desktop by installing Xampp, and navigating to localhost where you insatlled Xerte.

So in this case, you probably need to start Xampp (the webserver on your desktop) before starting the browser.

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7757

• teacherjonny
Many thanks for your speedy reply. I did have Xampp running. How about this: You send me the url statement that i insert into my browser window. d. Please don't assume any familiarity with Xerte jargon.
Thanks.

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7758

• teacherjonny
Is there a way for me to practice using Xerte on your University server? Can I get to your sandbox? My university doesn't have Xerte in use and as a matter of fact I have been unable to locate any college or university that is using Xerte. I would like to try to get my institution to adopt Xerte.
Thanks, again.

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7759

• teacherjonny
OOPS! I just got in. Please accept my apologies. However I still would like to practice with a server based version. And I don't see how I get to using css or javascript. Using my 'home version" can I export my project in an html format?
Jonathan Paradise

Last edit: by teacherjonny.

localhost refused to connect. 2 years 4 months ago #7760

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Hi,

Glad you found it. It is always difficult to estimate the level of knowledge of a poster, so apologies if was talking jargon. This was general IT jargon by the way, and is the same for all web based software like Moodle, Wordpress (and Xerte).

Also, please understand that I don't work for a University nor do a lot of others answering questions here on a volantary basis.

Also, please be aware that now have Xampp installed, there is no difference with working on a University server (except of course other users in the system)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search