Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

best practice: moving USER-FILES and v3 upgrade? 7 years 11 months ago #3689

• rbrown
  • rbrown's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I need to accomplish 2 things concurrently
1) move USER_FILES from ../xertetoolkits/USER_FILES to new mount (/xertedata/USER_FILES), and
2) upgrade to v3.1 from v2

Can anyone suggest the best way to achieve this (should I move USER_FILES then upgrade of v.v.?)

There are a number of reasons to move USER_FILES, but the 2 main reasons I want to do this is to 1) separate content from code, and 2) be able to assign more space to the mount as the volume of content increases.

My plan to move USER_FILES is simply to mv the folders to the new location BUT then should I create symlinks from the old location to the new or is there another way to do this? After the move will I need to update references in the db?

Hope someone can help and hope no-one has asked this before and I missed that post (if so, my apologies)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

best practice: moving USER-FILES and v3 upgrade? 7 years 11 months ago #3691

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
out of curiosity I just quickly tested this locally via xampp and would make the following comments...

1. I would move the folder and test that it's all working before upgrading. No point in upgrading and then not being sure if any issues are due to the move or the upgrade. Obviously you need to ensure that no users are making changes before the move too.

2. Not sure how many people have done this and whether there are likely to be issues that I'm not thinking of at the moment but I just tested moving USER-FILES on a local xampp install and then changing the path to USER-FILES via the management page path settings and that worked fine. However the new location needs to be available to and writeable to by the webserver user so I'm not really sure what you'll be gaining by separating the location. I would just move the whole install directory to the new mount and change the paths via management accordingly.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrown

best practice: moving USER-FILES and v3 upgrade? 7 years 11 months ago #3693

• rbrown
I've completed the move and the upgrade..just in case other ppl are trying this - this is what I had to do.
0.1) navigate to the xertetoolkits folder
1) rsync user-files to /newhome/user-users (confirm size of the folders in the original location and new (i just used du -sh) and check permissions which on my install are wwwrun:www))
2) rename user-files to user-files-old (the latter can be deleted after confirming all works in the new location)
3) create link to the new home ("symlink ln -s /newhome/user-files user-files"). This means that nothing has to changed in the management UI - I did try changing this - but the code concatinates the location and therefore you get the incorrect path to the new home - hence the need for link instead)
4) ensure that your apache configure has "Options FollowSymLinks" (note: if you are using xerte on https you need to include that option in the ssl.conf file) - restart apache (remember to use graceful if you are on a server with other applications running)
5) move any custom php code to a backup location (in my case this is auth_config.php config.php database.php export.ph)
6) unzip the xerteVx.x.zip
7) run yourserver.com/upgrade.php
8) take a peak at yourserver.com/version.txt
9) move the custom php files back

and after that I was "good to go"

best practice: moving USER-FILES and v3 upgrade? 7 years 11 months ago #3694

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Again for anyone reading this thread at a later date - depending on what version you are upgrading from do check the authentication method via management after running upgrade.php.

Previously the authentication method was controlled by auth_config.php but since 3.1 is stored in the database and controlled via management. This makes future upgrades easier but does mean that the first time you run upgrade.php which makes this change to storing the setting in the database it reverts to guest access.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

best practice: moving USER-FILES and v3 upgrade? 7 years 11 months ago #3695

• rbrown
thanks for picking that up Ron..yup my authentication method was set to Guest in the management UI

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search