Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Import/export, documentation 10 years 1 day ago #1681

• fredriley
  • fredriley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all. Although this is my first post to this site, I've been using Xerte (desktop and toolkits) on and off for some years, yea even at the Uni of Nottingham with yer man Julian himself.

My query relates to documentation on import and export. There are docs on the Techdis Xerte Teaching Guides site which are handy, but the doc "Editing, Managing and Sharing Learning Objects Pt 2" is plainly based on an older version of Toolkits going by the screenshots on p8 and p11 as the Export dialogue now has many more options. Has a doc been written for v2.1 as yet, and if so could someone point me to it?

I've got a few queries in my mind about exporting from an old XOT version and re-importing to v2.1, but would rather read the fine manual than create a thread asking Qs that have likely been asked before.

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Import/export, documentation 10 years 1 day ago #1682

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
I put those Jisc Techdis guides together as well as the screencast on my site mitchellmedia.co.uk/xerte and although it's on my todo list to update the guides I'm not aware of anything that exists right now. The process is pretty much the same though except as you say there are additional options e.g.

You can choose whether to include just html5, just flash or both
You can choose just the deployment version or the full archive which to a certain extent is editable in desktop xerte but perhaps not completely because that doesn't have the HTML 5 stuff.
You also have more than one SCORM option.
The Bootstrap template doesn't have export and if you have an old install which had the separate multiple perspectives and media interactions templates they probably won't import or be editable in 2.1.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Import/export, documentation 10 years 1 day ago #1683

• fredriley
  • fredriley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, Ron. The guides are very good - detailed and clear, for which kudos. The Q I was after asking which I hoped might be answered by the fine manual was: can a LO exported from XOT 2.0 be imported into XOT 2.1? I very much expect that this is the case, but just wanted to check.

I'll have a good look at your other guides, and download them for my and colleagues' reference. I'll definitely watch the screencasts, and point colleagues toward them - I'd not known they existed.

Fred
www.fredriley.org.uk

Import/export, documentation 10 years 1 day ago #1684

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
Hi Fred
glad you like the guides and they will hopefully be updated or replaced by something newer at some point. Short answer yes you should be able to export from 2.0 or even earlier and import into 2.1. Particularly projects based on the main Nottingham XOT template. There have been some posts that raise issues with importing but I think that's more likely to be due to permissions and settings etc rather than incompatibility between versions.

By default they might still play via Flash when imported (can't remember if that's been changed yet or if it has what revision) but even if that is the case you can easily change that via project properties and if the previous version was developed in an older version and viewed via the Flash engine I would normally advise import, duplicate and then test and tweak the duplicate so that if necessary you can have an lo optimised for Flash and the copy optimised for HTML 5 although for LO's originated in newer versions and via HTML 5 by default this obviously won't be necessary.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: daustin100

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search