Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What's the XOT architecture 10 years 1 month ago #1293

• Jin
  • Jin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We are reviewing XOT to provide it as a central service to all university staff and students (which means students are able to use XOT to create learning objects too).

Currently, it runs on a University hosting Apache server as a pilot service. To build a resilient service, I wonder if anyone who have experience could provide reference to system architecture, such as:
- The number of your users to log onto XOT?
- The amount of size based on the users on the server?
- The architecture of your service?

Many Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the XOT architecture 7 years 11 months ago #3733

• barco
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a fairly aged thread. But I think this question may be useful to others.

Your Question is quite broad. Typically you'd ask your IT department to help you plan this. There are literally. Hundreds of different possible configurations that could underpin a setup like this. Most of the choices will depend on what your tech team are familiar with and your budget.

I'm also running a pilot. From my experience with Xerte it's very efficiently coded. So I expect high tenancies even when running inside a small Virtual Machine.

That said it depends how you'll be using courses. If you're integrating Courses through LTI then Xerte would be a factor in the course delivery process when the student used that course section on the LMS.

But if you're exporting your courses and importing them into an LMS then most of your planning would be based on the efficiency of the LMS. Then XOT would be mostly hosted for Authoring and used by staff. Unless you have more than 50 Staff members XOT deployment would be a rather simple one.

As an example Moodle needs around 1Gb or Ram per 50 Active users.

I'd expect Xerte to use considerably less resources than that. My estimation would be around 50-100 per Gb Ram.

Would be interesting to hear how others have deployed Xerte.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search