Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 2 years 2 months ago #7909

• ymoore
  • ymoore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi
I've been trying out the new Interactive Video page type and and haven't been able to get a video to display from adding URL to the 'Video File' property - e.g. a YouTube or Video URL. I'm seeing the same behaviour on the Media Lesson page. However, I am able to do this successfully on the Video page type.

I've also been able to add embed code (minus the HTML iframe tags) and have the video display that way, but this seems an odd way for it to work (and not easy to explain to users). Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any insights.
Yvonne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 2 years 2 months ago #7924

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi Yvonne
I've just had a play around with the Media Lesson & Interactive Video pages and have got them both working with a YouTube URL. I have had to copy the URL that's in the address bar of browser (in this format: www.youtube.com/watch?v=msTEuI0eLZA) rather than use the URL that's shown to you when you click share (in this format: youtu.be/msTEuI0eLZA).

I'm not sure why the first format of URL works while the other doesn't but could you give this a try with one of your videos and see if it's the same.

Thanks
Fay

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 2 years 2 months ago #7925

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 88
I've created an issue in GitHub so that this will be looked at: github.com/thexerteproject/xerteonlinetoolkits/issues/1074

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 2 years 2 months ago #7928

• ymoore
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks Fay, you're right, using the link from the address bar works. (I always use the 'share' link so didn't think to try that!).

Cheers
Yvonne

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 1 year 11 months ago #8114

• ymoore
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi

Back to sharing videos via URL in Xerte, can anyone tell me if they've managed to find a good way of sharing Panopto recordings (as many Universities use Panopto). Copying a browser link, a sharing link or embed code doesn't work in the media pages. The only way I've managed to do it is by finding a podcast link (which has an .mp4 extension, after removing some extra detail at the end of the URL). This displays the video but not the extra Panopto functionality (i.e. note taking, searching etc.) and is a bit of a faff.

I notice that in one of the Deltion College templates shared at the last Xerte conference that a Mediasite link (without an .mp4 extension) displayed the video without any problems (added to a Media Lesson page). Could whatever magic that makes this work be applied to Panopto? All tips welcome!

Thanks
Yvonne

Interactive video - can I use a URL? 1 year 11 months ago #8115

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
The fact that mediasite is shown, is because we built a mediasite plugin for Xerte. If you want similar functionality for panopto, someone needs to build a panopto plugin.

Otherwise you will be limited to showing the mp4.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ymoore

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search