Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

360 degree image page 3 years 5 days ago #7299

• robb
  • robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
One of the exiting new options in next Xerte release will be the 360 degree image page. I already heard wild stories about using that for escaperooms.
I was just looking for options to create such 360 degree images and found some promising options including an extensive howto.
As an open source fan I was explicitly looking for an open source solution to create such an image.
I know the Google photo app has an option to make such photo's, but is a bit limited.
With a small search, I ended up with hugin . An open source image stitching application, available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
I found an extensive howto on the instructables website: www.instructables.com/How-to-make-a-360-...e-panorama-in-Hugin/
Also the sourceforge website has a section with tutorials: hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/index.shtml (a bit outdated)
I am very curious in example LO's using this tool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbijnens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

360 degree image page 2 years 11 months ago #7344

• Paddy
  • Thank you received: 1
Depending on what level of image quality you need, you might find a hardware solution the best option. I've taken a lot of pictures using a Ricoh Theta 360; so much quicker than taking multiple pictures and stitching them. I'd recommend this kind of single-shot 360 camera if you're creating more than a few images. You also end up with a single picture file which you can enhance in Photoshop, no mismatch of exposure or focus, shadows moving between shots, or other problems that you only spot at the stitching stage.
I rigged ours up to hang from ceiling lights, so I didn't even need a tripod! Theta 360s can be got for around £100 second hand, though there are other similar cameras out there which I've not tried.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robb

360 degree image page 2 years 11 months ago #7346

• robb
  • robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the info. I am still orientating for something like that. I also saw tha the GoPro Max has such features. For now I will be first finding out if this is something worthwhile to have dedicated hardware for. Although it is tempting to run off to the electronics store and just get one.... :)
As soon the 360 page in xerte is available with next release, I will have a try creating something with it using my smartphone for now.
Btw, to create 360 images I used Focal app (on android). But recently I updated my phone to android 11 and the Focal app broke. And since this app isn't updated anymore, I have to look for another app that can take multiple photo's in a way that a stitching programm can easily stitch them together.
Currently installed open camera, but I have no clue yet if it can do the job.
If there are any experiences with (non tracking!) camera apps, please share.
ps, I don't have google play, so can't install from google playstore.

Last edit: by robb.
  • Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search