Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte and Canvas 4 years 4 months ago #6128

• helenmd
  • helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi all,

Here in Swansea University we are migrating from Blackboard to Canvas. I was wondering whether anyone on this list uses Canvas and if so, whether you'd be willing to get in touch as I have some questions around the integration of Xerte learning objects into Canvas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte and Canvas 4 years 4 months ago #6130

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Helen
are your questions re integration of Xerte LOs in Canvas private for any reason? If not then why not post the questions here so others can learn from any responses?
BW
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: helenmd

Xerte and Canvas 4 years 4 months ago #6131

• helenmd
  • helenmd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Ron,

Not at all, I think it was more a question of identifying a contact as I'm not sure what questions I want to ask - other than if anyone has got examples of Xerte embedded in Canvas (though not in assignments), and how they went about that. If it does end up as a private conversation then I'd be more than happy to summarise to feed back, as I totally agree that it would be useful for the rest of the community to learn from this.

Xerte and Canvas 4 years 4 months ago #6132

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Helen
I don't have direct access to a Canvas installation to test or share examples and I know you are seeking Canvas specific examples but as general points for use of Xerte LOs in any VLE/LMS I would comment as follows:

We try to ensure that Xerte works with any VLE/LMS and when platform specific issues are raised like there have been with Moodle, Blackboard and others over the years we usually add fixes and options to ensure the widest possible compatibility. As far as options for use of Xerte LOs in different platforms there are obviously a variety of options:

1. Using LOs set to public or other (with the VLE or course address set as the referrer) obviously allows a straightforward hyperlink to be used and typically all VLE/LMS allow links to be added and often with choice over how the link opens e.g. in page, new window, in a pop up, from a text link from an image link etc etc.
2. Likewise Xerte provides embed code if the VLE/LMS allows embed code to be added in the specific place required.
3. Xerte obviously provides SCORM 1.2 and 2004 exports for XOT projects and deployment export for other projects. Most VLE/LMS will provide a way to upload/import then extract and link to those packages.
4. If your Xerte installation has LTI and or xAPI enabled then any XOT project can be included via an LTI only link, LTI + xAPI link, or xAPI only group mode link.

Canvas should support all of the above methods and obviously option 4 is arguably the best way to go if you have LTI and/or xAPI enabled because it provide the best of both worlds.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Menno

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search