Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5330

• hitteshahuja
  • hitteshahuja's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
Havent had much experience with the Xerte structure but is it possible to easily add support to a header banner at the top of the page. Please see attached screenshot for a proof of concept. We upgrade xerte ever so often and it would be nice to advise users in advance of an upgrade with a message banner at the top of every page ( possibly including this on template pages too) .
Happy to help with the coding if someone could point me in the right direction !

Thanks
Hittesh
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5331

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Hittesh

To add a message to that page you need to edit index.php in the root of your xerte folder. It's the div called "buttonbar" that you can add your message too.

We normally also put a message on the login screen. The file you need to change for this is website_code/php/login_library.php You can add to the "mainbody" div in here - probably creating a div for your message beneath the <div style="clear:both;"></div> tag would be the best place.

Hope this helps
Fay

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5332

• hitteshahuja
Hi Fay,
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Is there any benefit in making this an admin setting under the Site tab in management.php ? I am happy to do some initial coding on this and if you're happy push it back to github

Regards,
Hittesh

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5333

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Yes, I was thinking as I replied that it would be useful to have there. I don't know the management side of the code well but if you need a hand with that Tom would be the best one to advise. You're more than welcome to contribute some code!

Thanks
Fay

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5334

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
A few quick comments - away from a computer to test but...
You can probably already do this via management with some custom css and script added to one of the site customisation options. That way those changes are stored in the db.
I would avoid customisation of core files as it adds extra work every time you upgrade.
I suspect the best options to add to management would be to add custom css and custom script optional properties like we have in the templates. That way more customisation could be added without implications for future upgrades.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Upgrade alert banner support for Xerte themes 5 years 6 months ago #5335

• hitteshahuja
Hi Ron,
I was hoping this change would then be integrated back into xerte master on github so I dont have to "hack" it every time. Presumbaly this must be a feature people would want to use in the future when upgrading xerte sites. At this point, I am looking at adding PHP code to the various pages so that it is present when you first install Xerte and that persists in the database as a seperate field in the sitedetails table . We dont have a massive set of Xerte users where we are but we do get the comment that it would be nice to know when Xerte would be down so rather than sending an email we would place the banner at the top .

Regards,
Hittesh

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search