Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Getting LO online 6 years 8 months ago #4617

• starjennie
  • starjennie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I need a bit of help making my LO available. I have exported it for offline use and then I was hoping to upload it to my hospital's intranet site. But my local IT team tell this is not possible as the folder is a database and too large. The IT infrastructure here isn't great (I'm in a small regional hospital in South Africa). Short of going round the hospital and manually loading it onto the desktop of every PC I don't know what to do now. The hospital doesn't have a VLE or LMS for me to use a SCORM package in.
What are the options for getting the LO online? Could I use a google site for this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting LO online 6 years 8 months ago #4618

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
If you have exported your Xerte project by selecting your project in the workspace, selecting properties and then one of the export options and have the resulting zip file it's definitely not a database. So whoever has said that is mistaken. However that zip does contain multiple files and folders including a media folder so it isn't just a single html file and needs to be uploaded and extracted or extracted and then all the extracted files and folders uploaded. Applications like Dropbox and Google Drive used to allow uploading of the files and folders and then making the index.htm a public link but I don't think they allow that any longer - at least not in a way that allows everything to work.
You need space on a web server and there is plenty of cheap hosting about although cheap hosting can be a false economy if you need reliability or don't have the technical skills or time for maintenance. You could try a free aws account aws.amazon.com/free but setting that up is a bit technical. If you have a budget there are also options for signing up for access to a shared xerte installation where you could import your project, make it public and share the link via your intranet site but that would mean that users would need web access when they click the link on the intranet.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Last edit: by ronm.

Getting LO online 6 years 8 months ago #4621

• starjennie
  • starjennie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ron,

Thanks for your reply, that is helpful. My local IT lead tells me there is definitely no way to get either the .zip file or the extracted contents onto our intranet site. I personally think he just doesn't know how, but that's another story.
I like the option for importing my project to a shared xerte installation - can you tell me more about how to do that? I can apply for a budget and users would have internet access.

Getting LO online 6 years 8 months ago #4622

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Jennifer
For the solution I look after see www.learningapps.co.uk/solutions/xerte-online-toolkits-xot which is based in the UK.
My colleagues in the Netherlands offer a similar service 12change.eu/index.php/2015-01-15-15-20-28

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search