Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General questions and topics about Xerte Toolkits that don’t fit anywhere else.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Share "media" folder(s) among my own objects 7 years 9 months ago #3843

• curryd
  • curryd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
So I created my first learning object and uploaded a bunch of images and other media. I was sort of assuming that when I created a second learning object, all those images and things would be there. Unfortunately, it seems that the media folder is per-learning object, rather than per-user.

Is there a way to share a media folder (or subfolder) across all my learning objects? Or "import" media from one learning object's media folder to another's? I'm trying to avoid having to re-upload the same media over and over again (like logos, background images, etc.). I did discover that I can duplicate a learning object to get a copy of the media folder, and then delete all the pages in the object and start anew, but that seems kind of "clunky" as a general solution.

Note: this isn't the same question as I found searching the forum (I think). I'm asking about sharing my own media only among my own learning objects, not sharing it with a group of users or the entire set of Xerte users on the system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share "media" folder(s) among my own objects 7 years 9 months ago #3845

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 246
If you are sharing your learning objects via public links from your xerte install rather than exporting and/or don't need your projects to work without online connectivity then you can embed images and other media via full url's rather than local to the project. e.g. create a project called shared assets (or whatever you want to call it) upload your shared media to that, grab the urls to those assets via properties > media and quota and then use those links in any of your other projects.

As you say you could also create an empty project with your shared assets and no pages and then duplicate that each time you need those assets in a new project.

Finally you can upload lots of media in one go e.g. when uploading select all images in a folder so it's relatively quick to re-upload media to another project and yes that does mean duplicated media and increased storage but that's the way it is at the moment.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Share "media" folder(s) among my own objects 7 years 9 months ago #3847

• curryd
  • curryd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't thought about the links idea (I guess I hadn't realized it worked quite that way). Probably not what I want as we're likely going to export most things, but still nice to know.

For now I think the "shared assets" project approach is easiest, since it maintains the exportability of things, and it should be simple to explain to people. And we'll probably eventually have a custom-branded template anyway, which will make some of it less of an issue anyway.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search