Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Shared repository 8 years 8 months ago #2987

• JaapJan
  • JaapJan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
New question :(

Is it possible to share all the mediafiles in a group or with all the users in the Xerte system? (Not the xerte files, but the used media)
I searched for it but couldn't get an answer on that. So if you use the mediabrowser you can see and use the media of other people?

Thanks for helping me again!

JaapJan
Holy cow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shared repository 8 years 8 months ago #2988

• julten
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
It is possible, but it's slightly rough: if you create a project called 'library' and then upload all the media via media and quota into that, share it with others working on the projects, then you can get the URLs of the media in the library project and use those within the content projects, however you are making a dependency between the projects and the library.

I'd like to explore how this might work better, but I can't see how we could avoid the dependency.

Shared repository 8 years 8 months ago #3011

• JaapJan
  • JaapJan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Julian,

Some ideas:
Would it be possible to have one repository per installation? Maybe it can be an option in the management part. Xerte is now used by a small team of developers in Egypt. They like to share all 10 of them their media. Let them (or the management) make the decision that every mediafile has to be shared with your collegues. If you don't want it: do not place the checkmark.

Or: make an option that somebody make his mediabank public for all users in the installation (or on individual base)
Or: make an RSSfeed of every mediabank en merge them all to one

Moodle solved this also, I believe, with media repositories (I'm not sure)
Holy cow!

Last edit: by JaapJan.

Shared repository 8 years 8 months ago #3012

• julten
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I an see one global repository getting messy, and there will be cases where groups want to keep media to themselves I think. My workaround facilittes this, as you can create a project, call it library and then share that amongst the group. There would, as it stands be problems exporting projects, but it kinda works. I'll see what ideas others have.

Shared repository 8 years 8 months ago #3014

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 247
There's a way this can easily be achieved already using a shared Google Drive or Dropbox folder.

With the respective desktop apps installed it's possible to browse a local Google Drive or Dropbox folder when uploading and so you maintain a shared folder with a wide range of assets and then browse that when uploading. You can also then have sub-folders to organise by type or category etc which isn't possible with Xerte because it needs a flat structure and with lots of assets can be difficult to navigate. It obviously just means that media is re-uploaded and duplicated in projects but that's arguably a good thing because it retains export as it is now and prevents assets being changed.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: JohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search