Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Embedding a copy of a website / file 5 months 3 weeks ago #8756

• andymconnor
  • andymconnor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to Xerte, but loving it so far. I came across it whilst searching for open source authoring tools that we might potentially be able to adapt or modify for a specific use case.

We have product documentation on a static website that I need to use in learning content. Up until now, I've been copy/pasting to get things started but this is going to cause us all sorts of issues in the future and we are wanting to have a single source of truth. We are moving our documentation site away from WordPress and instead version controlling the content in Git, then using Docusaurus to publish it to a static website.

What I want to be able to do is to pull that content, either from Git directly or from the product site, and embed a snapshot of that into an e-learning course that we export from Xerte as a SCORM file to our LMS. When a learner views the course, they should see that particularly version of documentation that was embedded not the current live version.

I'm assuming the current embed functionality acts like an <iframe> and the live version of a website is viewed?

I've got a team of students that we can point at developing this functionality, just wondering if has been done before or if there is another solution to this? If not, we will get the students to work on this next year. If it is not a big job, we might even be able to get some of our dev team to do it sooner if there is other interest in this functionality.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Embedding a copy of a website / file 5 months 3 weeks ago #8764

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Embedding is not the issue. You should be able to just use a text page and use the wysiwyg editor to embed, or you can use the emned page type. However, the challenge will be the 'snapshot' of a certain version. It would be easiest if you can create a static website of a specific version, and keep that online as long as the Xerte modules are in use.

I do wonder why you want to use a snaphot though, as this contradicts the 'singe source of truth'in my humble opinion. You could embed the live website, and then place the Xerte content in the LMS using LTI, instead of SCORM. In that way the content and Xerte modules are always up to date. Of course I do not know the exact use case...
The following user(s) said Thank You: andymconnor

Embedding a copy of a website / file 5 months 3 weeks ago #8767

• andymconnor
  • andymconnor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
The "snapshot" is not idea, but the technical constraints make embedding a bit hard. Our product documentation site sits behind SAML authentication on a different domain than our LMS. Unfortunately, our current LMS is not LTI compliant.

The product documentation needs to be version controlled, so the idea of a snapshot would be to take the content in relation to a particular version and effective then version control our education content.

We will run this as a student project next year and see if they can engineer a solution that works. Happy to offer that back as an addon to Xerte if it is useful.

Last edit: by andymconnor.
  • Page:
Moderators: JohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search