Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1984

• ronm2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Tom:

I'm dreaming aloud for sure but what I'd really 'like' to see is the Framework, Entry frame, interaction, and decision icons in XOT! I know that's highly unlikely at least in the short term.

I'm having problems with the new 'multiple perspectives' and 'slideshow' pages (mostly under IE). Those pages, and most of the 'navigation' type pages could really benefit from the addition of audio to each of the subpages. Also I'd like to create a page type (lacking the framework icon etc.) which can contain multiple images, text blocks and related audio tracks. This requires the large audio control now used be replaced with a small icon (play/stop) and there needs to be a way to place items on the screen. In the desktop version this is possible via using the Framework and multiple sub pages, so that couldn't be directly ported. Many of the desktop pages however have allowance for placing items in X/Y positions, perhaps there are some of these elements that could be 'borrowed'. The greatest need from my perspective is the ability for a standard 'page' to contain more than one image, cell block, and audio tracks, and these should be able to be positioned where one wants them. I'm experimenting with moving content from AW to XOT and that is the biggest deficiency I've come across - some of the AW pages considerable content that needs to be moved to multiple XOT pages since once cannot place more than one image, audio, etc. on the page. There is no one 'page' from the desktop version that would help with this, other than the building blocks etc. mentioned earlier like the Framework.

RonM2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1989

• ronm2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello Tom

Sorry I was sure I'd posted a reply to this but I don't see it here.

What I'd really like in XOT is the framework, entry frame, interaction, and decision icons from the desktop, but I'm assuming those are a fair amount of work. In moving my content from AW to XOT what I'm really lacking is the ability to put multiple images, text cells, and audios onto a single page. The ability to add a 'page' in XOT then right click and add a 'text', 'image' and 'audio' icons and place them with x/y coordinates like you can in the desktop would be very helpful. From my perspective almost all of the 'navigator' type pages (slideshow, tabs, etc.) could benefit from the inclusion of audio tracks. As for the audio 'player' I don't like it... its too big, stretches across the whole page and only manages one audio. I'd like to change this out for a small on/off audio icon that on first click cancels whatever else is playing then plays its assigned track. A second click stops the audio if its playing. The new 'slideshow' and 'multiple perspective' pages are good but I'm having problems with both mostly under IE (chrome much better). So I really haven't answered your question - there is not any one page type (other then the big 4 framework, etc.) that I'd want to move. To do what I'd like to do we can build a new page type that can hold multiple objects, although it would be much preferable to me (not knowing the technical considerations) to be able to create a 'page' which is similar to a framework then right click in the menu tree and nest other objects under it like images, audio, text.

RonM2

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1990

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
No, that is definitely not going to happen soon.

Online toolkits supports the temaplte mode of the desktop version. The 'icon' mode will probably never be supported.

That said, it's not that difficult to add new pagetypes yoir self, but then you would need to write them in javascipt.

Also we are quite hard at work to implement a new WYSIWYG editor where you have more freedom of placing images and videos on a page. I'll let you know when the beta release can be expected.

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1997

• ronm2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hello Tom

Thanks... WYSIWYG is good, but the loss of the desktop icon programming hurts!

The immediate greatest single need in my opinion is for more audio capability on the navigator pages (slideshow, tabs, buttons, etc.) to allow sound tracks to be played on these sub pages...for a small (not the slider) audio icon that can be placed in an x/y coordinate.

RonM2

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1998

• ronm2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
There are a number of XOT icons that have nested or 'sub' icons in the tree - for example the column page. How hard would it be to allow some of those icons, like the text page and graphics/sound page, to have sub icons for additional image, text, and audio, all of which could set to x/y coordinates? That would solve a major problem I would think of putting as much information on a page wherever you want it.

create new learning objects templates 9 years 9 months ago #1999

• ronm2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just looking at the bootstrap template - the pages here are already setup to do this - add sub pages. Could we add subpages for additional image, text, audio? From my limited perspective that looks to me like the fastest way to get what I'm looking for.

• Page:
Moderators: jjs
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search