Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

view activity details and object versions? 4 years 10 months ago #5727

• Jin
  • Jin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We have a user accidentally forgot to make a copy of the original object and edited/wrote over it. So they lost the original object.

My understanding is if the user over-wrote content of the an object and published it, there is no version control available for us to retrieve what they had before. It does not have the 'view activity details' feature like the Google doc has.

I wonder if we have a better way to help users who are in this kind of situation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

view activity details and object versions? 4 years 10 months ago #5728

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Hello

A backup is kept of the last 10 saves of each project. If you have access to the USER-FILES folder then you can access these & reinstate the required one.

In each project folder you'll find these files:
- data.xml (this is the data used for the live version of the project)
- preview.xml (this is the data displayed in the editor & the preview version of the project)
These two files will normally be the same but won't if the project hasn't been published after making changes in the editor.

The other files in the project folder are backups of previous versions (preview.xml.1/preview.xml.2 etc.) You can override the data in the main preview/data.xml files with the data from one of these files to reinstate a previous version. Make sure you backup the project folder before you start doing this in case you need to roll back any of the changes you make.

You might be able to get back any lost data in this way but it depends on how many changes there have been since the original version was edited.

I hope this helps
Fay
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: jjs
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search