Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Creating a Page template with HTML content 7 years 10 months ago #3707

• barco
  • barco's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm trying to create a new game page template. I have an existing game written in HTML5 & JS that I'd like to include in a Xerte lesson as a standard template page.

I notice I can embed an external webpage. But I'd like to integrate it and it's score into a project. I'm trying to reduce the amount of clicks for the student.

1.Is it possible to do this in XOT?
2.Where are custom pages stored or edited for XOT
3.How do I add HTML and JS
4.Should I integrate Scorm xml myself or can I send the score to the Xerte page and have it included in the exported project that will be imported into Moodle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by barco.

Creating a Page template with HTML content 7 years 10 months ago #3708

• barco
Hmm,

1. Seems that integrating HTML content is only possible through embedding at present.
The drawback is that no scoring can be done on such sections if the embedded content is a quiz and the course is brought in through LTI into something like Moodle.
2. I found some info in the Xerte Desktop App help. I'm still a bit fuzzy on how templates work. I've done a lot of reading in the past day. But it seems that the page templates are targeted at Flash based apps and content?
3. Some digging reveals that Xerte does not keep track of scoring. Pages like the Quiz includes Scorm capability but that's about it. This would be the job or a LMS like Moodle even if the content could be included in the form of a custom page type. Although I wish I could bring every thing into Xerte. The interface is so user friendly compared to LMS interfaces!

I'll put this into a feature request.

Creating a Page template with HTML content 7 years 10 months ago #3714

• barco
I've been playing with the Embed function and notice that it can accept quite a bit of HTML.

Been running some HTML with JS through it. So far I get permissions errors from Apache. But it looks as if I can insert the almost the full HTML5 of a single file into this and reference the JS paths.

Your mileage may vary. I suspect that Xerte would still be blissfully unaware of any Scorm related parts of this file. As will the LMS (Moodle). This page type was after all intended just to link to another page's content.

I'm playing with ways to simplify UI for end users. My thoughts are that I might be able to link the Activity from the LMS into Xerte to reduce the clicks in using the content.

In a case like this it may still be loaded into the LMS. Then linked back into Xerte.

I came across an easy way to integrate Scorm API pipwerks.com. It looks to be more limited than the full API but much faster. In our use case this may prove useful in enabling scoring & stats on our normal Html5 content.

If you have any thoughts let me know.

Creating a Page template with HTML content 7 years 10 months ago #3754

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
Hi Barco,

There is some documentation, on how to add a page (html+js) to the Nottingham template. You can find it here:

xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=11#page1section3
The following user(s) said Thank You: barco

Creating a Page template with HTML content 7 years 10 months ago #3760

• barco
Thanks Tom,

This is exactly the info I was looking for!

• Page:
Moderators: jjs
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search