Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Resuming and tracking in XOT object through VLE 9 years 10 months ago #1951

• Jin
  • Jin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We have xertetoolkits_2.0 + xertetoolkits_update_2.0
VLE (Blackboard), SCORM Engine 2013.1.1042137 installed

We want to have a learning object working in the following way:
(1) Restrict the XOT object only accessible from our VLE (Blackboard system). We have made this work through restrict Access.
(2) The object has auto-play narration on each text page. We made it work.
(3) When users access the object again, it is able to resume from where users last left the object.

We have selected "Enable resuming" + "SCORM tracking mode" for the object in XOT.
We have tried to two methods below, but neither works.
(1) Link the XOT object directly from VLE. It will play narration automatically but when click the object, it always starts from the first page no matter how the user last left the object.
(2) Export the object as a SCORM package and import it into VLE. It will not play narration on the page at all, click the progress bar, it won't run too. Also, the resume function does not work.

I noticed that the object page URL was like 'xerte.cardiff.ac.uk/play.php?template_id=664#resume=3'. However I can't find a way for us to know the user's specific PageId so that it can be resumed from.

I wonder if this is something has been resolved/included in XOT v2.1? or is it something relating to SCORM Engine version?

Please give advice.

Many thanks,
Jin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resuming and tracking in XOT object through VLE 9 years 10 months ago #1952

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 310
Thank you for the elaborate description.

To clarify:
1. Resume
The Resume function only adds the #resume=3 to the url, so you know how you can go back to that page manually

2. SCORM package and autonarration.
That should have worked. I've no idea why the narration doesn't start automatically. I know that with certain version of Blackboard there are some issues with installing, to make sure that the relative positions of the files (i.a. for example the media folder with the mp3 in there) remains in tact. John? Do you have the details?

3. The resume function you;'re looking for is a function of SCORM and is indeed implemented in the 2.1 version of xerte. So you do need an update for that. To test whther it works with Blackboard, you could try a local install of 2.1 on a PC, create or import the existing package and export it again (before upgrading your production environment).

Tom

Last edit: by tom. Reason: Fix typo

Resuming and tracking in XOT object through VLE 9 years 10 months ago #1956

• Jin
  • Jin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Tom, thank you very much for your reply.

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search