Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Glossary text not displaying the definition text bubble on a page 1 year 11 months ago #8061

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
My colleague has asked about a problem encountered with the Glossary.
Quote: ".....some of the words in the glossary are not clickable when in the text of the xerte, for example rheumatoid arthritis on page 7".
My comment: The glossary term and definition for other terms on page 7 work fine.

My comment is that as far as I can see, the Xerte Glossary is set up correctly and the term and definition should behave correctly with a text bubble
appearing over the term on page 7. I can see that the same term is provided on page 6 and the glossary definition text bubble does display on the screen.

Is there a known bug or issue?

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully a solution.
Best regards
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glossary text not displaying the definition text bubble on a page 1 year 11 months ago #8062

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi Anne

Is there a public link available to the project where this problem can be seen? Where I have seen things like this before it has been either because of a typo in the term (either in glossary on on page - the text strings must match exactly), unexpected punctuation on either side of the term (it should cope with full stops, commas, brackets etc. but there might be some characters which when next to the term stop the term being found and converted to a link) or something like when you view the source of the page the space between the two words that should be made into a glossary link is   rather than just a space - this would also stop Xerte from recognising the term as matching the one in the glossary. Do other words in the glossary become links on page 7 or is it just one term that's not working? If no terms are working then it could be a bug on whatever page type is being used for p7.

Thanks
Fay

Glossary text not displaying the definition text bubble on a page 1 year 11 months ago #8065

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Fay,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. The Xerte isn't public so I am afraid I can't provide a link.

I checked punctuation and the spelling but what I hadn't checked is the source, which I thank you for suggesting.

The page type (page 7) where the problem occurs is interactivity > Categories. the problem occurs in the page text area and the text appears fine with correct punctuation (a comma after the word) and spelling. The same word is fine on page 6 with the glossary displaying. Page 6 is a Text > Plain Text page.

When I looked at the source on page 7 (Interactivity > Categories) I noticed unexpected code which is: about rheumatoid arthritis,

I don't know if the creator copied and pasted the text from Word directly (I inform staff not to do that).
I have duplicated the page 7, so that there are two page 7. I have removed the unwanted code in the source, so that it now displays as: about rheumatoid arthritis,

The glossary text now works.

So, i wonder if this is a bug?
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of checking the source, i hadn't thought of that.
Keep well and thanks for the support.
Anne

Glossary text not displaying the definition text bubble on a page 1 year 11 months ago #8066

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 86
That's what I thought it would be as I have seen that before :) I'm not sure how easy it would be to get it to still work when the   is in the middle of a term like in your example, rather than on either end - I'll have a think whether this is something we can stop being a problem in the future.
Thanks
Fay

Last edit: by Fay.

Glossary text not displaying the definition text bubble on a page 1 year 10 months ago #8074

• jjs
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Fay/Anne,

I've fixed this in commit github.com/thexerteproject/xerteonlineto...925fd24b551d5c46f966 so that all whitespace before, after and in the middle of phrases is ignored, including multiple " " and/or  

It is variable controlled so could easily be turned into an optional Glossary setting if that was deemed necessary as there could be a reason I suppose why one might want to have the ability to override this...

I also added an similarly variable controlled option to match either only the first instance of the term (current default behaviour) or to match all instances of the term. This could again easily be added as an optional property if it was deemed possibly desirable.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Last edit: by jjs.
  • Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search