Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte bootstrap template and Moodle 2 years 7 months ago #7548

• guidicini
  • guidicini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am trying to integrate a Xerte Bootstrap Template project in Moodle.
The only two ways available to export the project seem not be suitable for this task.

Is there a way to integrate a project made that way in an LMS like Moodle?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Fabrizio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte bootstrap template and Moodle 2 years 7 months ago #7549

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi
for many reasons you are better off linking from your Xerte install rather than exporting and importing and in Xerte 3.10 you can even use LTI. However if you really want to export and import then export your Bootstrap as a deployment zip then in Moodle use the following steps:
Add an activity or resource
Add File
Upload your deployment zip
Click the zip and select Unzip
Click index.htm and select Set main file
Optional: set appearance option as required
See docs.moodle.org/311/en/File_resource_set...a_website_index_page for more details of the add a file options.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: guidicini

Xerte bootstrap template and Moodle 2 years 7 months ago #7550

• guidicini
  • guidicini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Ron,

thank you so much for your prompt reply!
With your suggestion I have managed to fix my issue and reach my aim.

I'am rather worried, though, about where you say that for many reasons I'd better link in Moodle from the server where I create my learning objects.
That was my first thought too, but for internal technical reasons of the institution where I work this is a risky option. Where the risk is that Learners may encounters broken links if the other platform doesn't work.

I am afraid of your suggestion about linking... does that mean that if I embed in my learning object pages other contents such as images, videos and other XOT projects they may not work because they are not deployed together with the deployment .zip package?

If so, is there workaround for that?

Thank you so much in advance.

Fabrizio

Last edit: by guidicini.

Xerte bootstrap template and Moodle 2 years 7 months ago #7551

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Fabrizio
we hear this many times e.g. exporting and importing to the VLE/LMS is more reliable because of some theoretical risk of the Xerte install not working.

Firstly Xerte when looked after and kept up-to-date is extremely reliable so this argument only applies if the Xerte install and server isn't looked after.
Secondly and more importantly there is far more risk of exported projects no longer working (or at least some of the pages used) because of browser changes and code incompatibilities etc and this is because each export is a point in time collection of code and content no longer updated when the Xerte install is updated unless you re-export and import following a Xerte update. There is also some functionality in some Xerte pages that needs to communicate with your Xerte installation to work. This doesn't apply in the case of Bootstrap but does in the case of XOT projects.
Finally, and arguably more important from a teaching and learning perspective, you are far less likely to improve your content because every change requires re-exporting and re-importing whereas when linked you can make as many changes and improvements you like and they are instantly available wherever you have linked the resources.

So for just your use you might be happy to make changes and then re-export and re-import. But over time you are perhaps likely to have many resources in many courses and certainly that applies when you consider lots of other Xerte users in your organisation doing the same.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search