Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

cookie control for public facing xerte resources 2 years 11 months ago #7367

• olihaslam
  • olihaslam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

Has anyone else come up against this problem wih regard to cookies, and if so, how have you addressed it?

At the university I work for staff creating Xerte resources have been told they are not allowed to make Xerte content intended for 'public' consumption because Xerte objects do not have any form of cookie control in place. This is creating some difficulty.

For example, we want to produce and publish 'pre-enrolment learning' materials for people who are not registered as staff or students at the university. The intended audience includes people who are about to start courses with us but who have not fully completed their registration at the university (so they do not yet have a university account) and others whom we want to give a flavour of what the university offers who may or may not eventually register with us as students - e.g. school leavers or others members of the public.

One approach I am looking into is to include a notice (a modal window) on Xerte Bootstrap resources that automatically appears when a user first opens a public-facing Xerte resource. The notice informs them that cookies may be placed on their computers and includes a link to the university's cookie policy. This approach would inform users about cookies. I've made a quick example xerte.uwe.ac.uk/play.php?template_id=4462Bootstrap with a cookie notice here (but I can't work out how to allow users to close the modal window if it automatically appears on page load - my coding is not that great, I'm afraid. Suggestions very welcome!)

My understanding of the cookie regulations , however, is that users need to be informed about cookies and give their consent to cookies being placed on their computer before they are set. And I'm not sure how to deal with a situation where users do not consent. What would be expected to happen if someone declines consent?

A complication is that the cookies used in a Xerte resource are dependent on what third-party content the author of the Xerte resource has chosen to include. E.g. if the Xerte resource includes embedded YouTube videos it will have YouTube cookies in it, if it includes a Microsoft form it will have microsoft cookies in it etc. So it's not easy to come up with a standard notice saying what cookies are involved and that users are consenting to because it depends on the content included.

I'd really welcome any advice or similar experience anyone has about this.

Many thanks in advance.
Oli
The following user(s) said Thank You: s-alimi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cookie control for public facing xerte resources 2 years 11 months ago #7368

• simonbarne
  • Thank you received: 5
Adding this to the close button seems to work:
onclick = "$('.modal').hide()"
So, in full:
<button class="btn btn-default" data-dismiss="modal" type="button" onclick = "$('.modal').hide()">Close
        </button>
The following user(s) said Thank You: olihaslam

cookie control for public facing xerte resources 2 years 11 months ago #7369

• simonbarne
  • Thank you received: 5
Also, it's possible that consent for Xerte cookies is not required under the "strictly necessary" exemption. An example of this is "A cookie used to remember the goods a user wishes to buy when they go to the checkout or add goods to their shopping basket".

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pe...imilar-technologies/

But I suspect risk-averse university managers might not be convinced.
The following user(s) said Thank You: olihaslam

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search