Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can't create a template 3 years 2 months ago #7214

• jtwigge
  • jtwigge's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm trying to persuade my charitable organisation to use Xerte for training materials. The IT support we have (cloudcover) has given us a 'best effort' installation while we decide whether we want to use it, and I logged into the admin and made myself a user account. But when I try to create any type of template (i wanted to create a bootstrap template) I type the name and click 'create' and nothing happens, no loading or refreshing the page or anything, and I can't see any evidence that I tried to create the template. I've tried in firefox and in internet explorer. Does anyone have an advice for me?

ETA: I don't know if this helps but it seems nothing happens when I click any kind of 'create', including creating a folder. Other buttons work but I can't create anything

ETA: as I can't include urls in my posts I am attaching a document with the errors taken from the console
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jtwigge. Reason: additional details

Can't create a template 3 years 2 months ago #7215

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Where to begin...

Looking at the document and the console errors, it seems that you start xerte by entering 194.140.218.81, is that correct? If that is not correct, and you use a normal url in stead of an IP address, the site_url column in the sitedetails table is wrong. It is normally set during installation.

Also the permission of the USER-FILES folder should be set to writable for the user that runs the webserver (if this is a Linux sever, it's usually www-data, but that depends on the Linux distibution).

And it might be that some php-extensions are not available. That should be clear in the php error log.

Sorry that I cannot be more specific.

Can't create a template 3 years 2 months ago #7216

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi
I'm not sure we can identify the issue and solution from those errors but a few general points and questions...

As you have access to management check and make sure the site url is correct and matches how you are accessing the installation. e.g. I note that your errors point to http not https and an IP address. Normally it would be a domain or subdomain and typically https too so for example the entry in management under site url would be something like xerte.yourorganisation.org or yourorganisation.org/xerte/

Via management you can also check that what values are set under path settings for root file path and import path and then ask the IT Support to confirm they are correct and if not to make relevant changes. Also that the USER-FILES and import paths are writeable by the www/Apache user.

Ask them what PHP version is in use on the server. It seems unlikely but if it is PHP 8 that might be the problem because Xerte isn't yet fully compatible with PHP 8 but will be in the next release.

Also ask them to check against the Xerte system requirements and in particular the required PHP extensions.

Xerte is successfully used by a number of charities and I/we look after a few of those installations. It's a great solution and shouldn't be a problem for your IT support to get it working if the commitment is there.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Can't create a template 3 years 2 months ago #7217

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 246
BTW system requirements are listed at xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=81#systemrequirements

Also it's not essential to use a domain or sub-domain e.g. Xerte will work via an IP address you just need to ensure that what ever is configured under site url is correct and how you are accessing the install.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search