Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.

TOPIC:

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6485

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
We are fortunate to have Xerte 3.8.5 installed.
I notice that on the Media > PDF page type that when playing this page a text hyperlink 'Open PDF' displays.
Is this new to version 3.8.5? I can't remember seeing this before and I have not changed any settings, so it is appearing as default.

The problem is that when the user clicks on the hyperlink text, the PDF opens but it seems to the user that the Xerte has closed (because the PDF opens in full window) and many users will think the Xerte is closed, even though it remains open. Users need to hover their mouse over the browser icon on the taskbar to see that Xerte is still open, and I would say that no-one will do that, without instruction to do so.
Will you be adding the ability to change the Target window of this link to 'Pop-Up' window.
Because all the links we do, we tell the staff who create Xerte projects to change the Target to 'Pop-Up Window' otherwise users think they have exited Xerte and think that Xerte has closed.

Please let me know,
Many thanks
Anne
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6486

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Anne
Yes that link was added because some browsers are temperamental with embedded PDF scrolling etc.
If the user opens the link it is actually opening in a new tab but if your Xerte is already in a popup window (like when viewing your SCORM LOs in Blackboard) then yes it will be less obvious that the Xerte window is still open. The problem is any solution that attempts to address this specific scenario doesn't really help those learners when accessing sites and links that you and they don't have any control over. So there's an argument that guidance on managing links and browser windows on any site is a better long term solution.

However if you want to deal with this in specific Xerte LOs then you can use one or more of the following:

1. Add a note/instruction to the text of the page about the new tab and how to return to the LO
2. Turn on Show Language options and change the link text to something like: Open PDF (opens in a new tab)
3. Use CSS to hide the PDF link
#pdfLink{display:none;}
However remember the reason the link was added.
4. Use script and css to open the pdf link in a lightbox:
//add the following to a script optional property
$("#pdfLink").attr("data-featherlight", "iframe");

/*add the following to a styles optional property*/
.featherlight iframe {
height: 90vh;
width: 90vw;
}

Longer term we might well add additional options to control how links open from any page and in particular to make it easier to add lightbox links.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6487

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Ron,
Thank you.
Best wishes
Anne

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6522

• ForteanOrg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all.

The behaviour of the PDF page type was somewhat unexpected to me. I had hoped to see a PDF viewer, but on my installation I only get that link. Hardly what I want for my learners. So, I created a solution that employs ViewJS (and did some other nasty things, you can read more about that in another post I made ).

But I wonder: is it normal that the PDF page type ONLY displays a box with the download link in it, or is it supposed to show the PDF? If so, should I install additional software, or was there some component left out in the (3.8) installation?

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6525

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
We've got problems with the current PDF viewer, that doesn't work on all devices, therefore the link (so that we at least have something)

I'll have a look again.

I also looked at viwer.js, and regrettable it has a agpl license, and I need to check whther that is acceptable by Apereo.

Xerte version 3.8.5 and Media > PDF page type 3 years 11 months ago #6526

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
whenever asking questions about Xerte page types please use our page types demonstrator as a reference. That's linked from our examples page at xerte.org.uk/index.php/en/getting-starte...amples-demonstrators or direct link is xot.xerte.org.uk/xapi_launch.php?templat...xert.org.uk#resume=1 and direct link to the pdf page is xot.xerte.org.uk/xapi_launch.php?templat...ert.org.uk#resume=18
Yes you should see the pdf embedded in the page and not just the link. But it can depend on device, browser, settings etc. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 and the pdf displays embedded just fine. But it also does in Firefox, Opera, Edge and even IE11.
Does our example work for you?
Also from memory I seem to recall there was an issue with the pdf page that you definitely can't have spaces in the pdf file name so check that and if you open the properties of the LO and then select the pdf via Media and Quota and then copy the url does that display when you view that directly? If not could be mime types on the server?
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search