Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6248

• MarianneGlover
  • MarianneGlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I have been working with xerte Bootstrap, I have added content such as images and words... I then added some HTLM into an HTLM block, xerte crashed and provided a pop saying error. taking this as me adding some bad code. I was shared a project that was working, to which I added some CSS and additional content. - apart from the CSS, I have just added image (two with links attached) - xerte bootstrap crashes at least every 1 and 1/2 - I have tested, xerte Bootstrap on a different computer, on different browsers. I shared the project back to the person who gave it to me and they're now crashing. The last time it crashed, i simply chnaged the sige of an image.

I totally get this could be me, it could be my computer, my browser, our servers. Have you had anyone else have this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6249

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi
when you say Xerte is crashing can you be more specific and provide more details? Certainly in normal use this shouldn't and doesn't happen e.g. if you create a new LO (regardless of whether it is the Bootstrap template or any of the others) and use and populate that without custom code then it should not crash at all. However adding custom code and/or custom css can obviously cause issues if there are conflicts with that code or if the code is buggy and causing the crash.

Xerte also works fine with all modern browsers so again unless you are using an older version of IE this won't be the cause of any crashing.

I would suggest that you need to separate the issues here:

1. If Xerte is crashing with LOs that don't have any custom code then you need to refer that to whoever looks after your installation.
2. If what you created and added custom code to is the only thing crashing then that's probably being caused by that custom code. You would need to remove that code or try to identify and resolve whatever is causing the crashing.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6250

• MarianneGlover
On a test bases for the last hour, I have been running and working on the Project in Edge and not Chrome - it has just given me an error message. our system times me out for 20 to 40 before it lets me back in.. I will take the CSS off, next time I get in and see if its that.

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6251

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
Am I correct that you get an error popup when you try to Publish or Play from the editor?

If so, that is most likely caused by a session timeout. How or why that happens is not so easy for us to determine. One cause is being logged in on the same xerte install in the same browser, using different accounts.

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6252

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
your system times you out for 20 - 40 what - Seconds? Minutes? Either way something obviously isn't right there. I look after lots of Xerte installations and this isn't a common problem. However if you're referring to minutes here then there is sometimes a low server default timeout (controlled by the server not Xerte) where if your browser is inactive for longer than that default your login session could time out. This happens sometimes where someone has been typing into the editor and then taken a call, or gone for a coffee and left the editor open and when they return and type some more the underlying login has timed out. As long as you play or publish regularly this shouldn't cause any lost work and certainly shouldn't cause any crashes.

I would check if this happens to other users of your installation too because it sounds like a server issue rather than something specific to your LO.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Last edit: by ronm.

xerte Bootstrap error message 4 years 2 months ago #6256

• MarianneGlover
Hi
I don't know how long the time out is - but 20-40 is about the time the pop up comes up.
I have shared the project with others in the office and the pop started showing with them (they have also not used the bootstrap one before). I have taken out all the CSS, once I was allowed back in. and it went down with a second after clicking publish. I have copied all the content now... I will delete all the projects I have (i am lucky I just started using Xerte so I don't have many). and I will start afresh. I may get some idea of what is happening. - if its a TI thing, I can ask them to solve it.
I will keep you updated

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search