Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 6 years 6 months ago #4678

• Neil Pollock
  • Neil Pollock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
There appears to be a bug when using Xerte page links in Bootstrap resources. My expectation is that when you click on a page link it opens to the top the new page.

However, if the link is embedded in section 2 of a page, the new page will open at section 2. Likewise, if the link is in section 3, the new page will open to section 3, and so on.

This is a bit of a pain as I want to include a link to the proceeding page at the bottom of each page, but it needs to open at the top of the new page. Unfortunately, this error also occurs with the "next page" link option.

This also happens if I manually put in onlick="javascript:parseContent(1)" and when clicking on the top nav bar headings after clicking on one of the left hand section links.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, this seems to be a pretty big bug as it breaks all the navigation within Bootstrap projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Neil Pollock.

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 6 years 6 months ago #4680

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
I've just tested this and can replicate it and see what you mean.

By coincidence Jin contacted me yesterday asking if it was possible to link to specific panes of a navigator e.g. link to page 2 section 2 pane 2. I replied saying that we have child links like this in the XOT template now but not yet in Bootstrap. So I've added that to our issues list and I can see that implementing that could help fix this too or at least be part of that development. E.g people often want to link to specific sections of a later page rather than just the top of the page. I'll add this to the issue. In the meantime I'm not sure if there is a workaround with script and I don't have time right now to explore that but will have a look when I can find time if nobody else responds.

BTW in the latest developer code I added the ability to add a custom footer to Bootstrap projects either above, below or in place of the social links so you'll be able to add what you describe once to the custom footer. I just tested that and those links effectively go to the bottom of the page too rather than the top. Actually they don't it's just that the scroll doesn't change back to the top.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 5 years 2 months ago #5576

• jsi22
  • Thank you received: 0
We are using Xerte X with the bootstrap template and are seeing this problem on Chrome only. Is there a fix for this or plans in the pipeline to offer a fix?

Regards,
John

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 5 years 2 months ago #5577

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Can you provide a link to an example and a more specific description of the problem?

Exactly what revision of Xerte X are you using? Hover over the info icon in the footer of the workspace.

I can't find exactly what commit fixed this and I might be misunderstanding the problem but if I create a test bootstrap project and add a number of sections and pages and then for instance put a xerte page link in section 3 of page one linking to page 2 then when I click that link it jumps to the top of page 2 with #topnav appended to the url. That parameter isn't in the pagelink itself so is being added by script and therefore linking to the top of page 2.
e.g. xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=138

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 5 years 2 months ago #5578

• jsi22
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Ron,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I've set up a demo of the problem on our Xerte install at xerte.bath.ac.uk/play.php?template_id=537. This works on Firefox but not on Chrome.

- on page one click the link to GO TO PAGE 2
- scroll down to get to the links back to page 1
- first link uses the 'previous' method and the second one uses 'Go to page 1' method
- Note in Chrome both links take you to page 1 but not the top of the page. In Firefox or other browsers you are sent to the top of the page.

I am using Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Regards,
John

Xerte page links in Bootstrap 5 years 2 months ago #5579

• ymoore
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
This is also a problem on mobile iOS (iPhone and iPad) Safari. The links don’t go to the top of the page.

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search