Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Getting nowhere 10 years 7 months ago #681

• davids
  • davids's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
This is my 3rd post. I'm giving it a shot, but am getting nowhere.

I went to create my first learning object [www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/assets/Documents/X..._FirstLOTut_2011.pdf], and was told to go to the Sandpit for practice. I did so only to find out it was closed a few days ago. Now what?

Can someone kindly tell me how to start to use Xerte? I've downloaded the xertetoolkits. Now what? Kindly point me in the right direction.

OK. OK. I took a deep breath & took a shot at the Local Installation. I'm stuck on Number 5. Start Apache and MySQL in XAMPP control panel. Where's the XAMPP Control Panel? No Control Panel can be found in XAMPP folder. Now what?

Since the XAMPP folder contained no Control Panel, I tried opening Xampp with the manager-osx, found in that folder (as per a suggestion on a YouTube Xampp tutorial). I opened it and found 4 buttons: Go To Applications, Open Application Folder, Visit Apache Friends, and Get Started. After clicking Go To Applications it said some servers are not running, so I licked button to start servers. Endless hang time. I killed it. I then went to the Manage Serves button at the top. Apache Web Server was not running. I clicked on the Start button, but after a few seconds it stopped. I repeated, same outcome. Best I could do was get a browser that said "It works!".

I wasted my entire morning on this — 4 hours, trying again, searching for alternatives, re downloading, trying again. What was that about Xerte being easy for teachers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by davids.

Getting nowhere 10 years 7 months ago #682

• Overlord
I just installed it a few days back, following the "Local Installation" instructions at www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/toolkits.aspx

Getting nowhere 10 years 7 months ago #685

• JohnSmith
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi David,

If you just want to try it out then the easiest way is to download MAXOS200 at www.jiscrsc.ac.uk/eastern/how-we-support-you/portable-apps.aspx

This is then run from a pendrive and is already installed and setup on the drive...

If you want a proper install, either on a server or locally on a laptop/desktop though then follow the instructions at the link Amit posted...

John

Getting nowhere 10 years 7 months ago #697

• davids
  • davids's Avatar Topic Author
Amit, first, thanks for responding.

You must be one of those tech guys. When I saw that I had to deal with Apache, the MySQL by myself, and then after reading the Security Must-Read I wondered how the Xerte pundits could say Xerte is for teachers. What a show-stopper. I simply gave up after that. How is this easy for teachers?

Also the RealPlayer brief tutorial video didn't open. It choked the RealPlayer app.

Am I missing something?

Getting nowhere 10 years 7 months ago #698

• Overlord
Hi John

I'm an editor with no special technical skills. The installation instructions did appear intimidating at first but the actual install process didn't turn out to be so difficult. I have found the software to be easy to use and extremely useful, which made the little time invested in the beginning worthwhile.

Where exactly are you struck? If it helps, I can post step-wise instructions based on what I did.

• Page:
Moderators: ronmjultenJohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search