Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte with the screen reader Jaws 2 years 6 days ago #8044

• Literophilus
  • Literophilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Xerte community:

I wanted to put out this post in this particular forum, so that other screen reader users, especially Jaws users, could benefit from my short experience in working with Xerte.
My name is Leo, and roughly speaking, a month ago I was given an assignment in college, which basically consisted of building a short lesson by using an authoring tool. Up to that moment, I did not know anything about authoring tools, and the teacher of the course suggested a specific tool for all students. It took few minutes for me to know that this authoring tool was not accessible. So, I undertook the endeavor of finding out an accessible authoring tool. It was time-consuming and frustrating. I must have tried out more than a dozen apps. However, keys are always in the last place you look, aren’t they?
To make a long story short, during the last weeks I have been trying out XOT using Jaws 2022, and few days ago I was able to create a learning object by myself. Since I really did not know how an authoring tool works from a blind perspective, I must say that there is a steep learning curve for beginners who rely only on the screen reader to get the job done. In my case, I was mostly puzzled by the distribution of the elements and the content in the different pages that can be inserted.
As for technical considerations, Xerte is accessible, and in my experience, creating learning objects with the screen reader Jaws has been both effective and wonderful.
I am so grateful. I really want to thank all members in the Xerte team and all developers for working hard on this project to make this authoring tool really accessible. Indeed, different from most, if not all, authoring tools, Xerte has taken in consideration users of assistive technology.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Xerte with the screen reader Jaws 2 years 6 days ago #8046

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Thank you very much for this positive story! We do our utmost, and it is always good to hear that our efforts bear fruit.

Xerte with the screen reader Jaws 2 years 6 days ago #8052

• alimcn
  • Thank you received: 7
Thanks so much for your feedback. We are aware that getting to grips with a new tool is especially challenging for a screenreader user so if there are any hints and tips you would like us to make available for other JAWS users do let us know and we'll update the accessibility statement.

Thanks again for the feedback

Alistair

Xerte with the screen reader Jaws 2 years 3 days ago #8057

• Literophilus
  • Literophilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, I will let you know any hints related to usability or accessibility in case I stumble upon something. As far as I can tell, I had no technical issues in my initial interactions. However, as soon as I can I will focus on a couple of elements that I want to put on test by using both my primary and secondary screen reader because the functionality of such elements could be recurring when building a LO.

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search