TOPIC:

Screen reader - advice on how to use please 2 years 4 months ago #7810

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte Community,

Following on from my previous question regarding screen readers and Xerte.

Fortunately we have Xerte 3.10 installed, so therefore the screen readers should read the screen, as demonstrated in the video recorded at the Xerte conference 2021.

Referring to the video with a representative from the Open University and a Xerte Developer, please can you let us know which screen reader is being demonstrated in the video recorded at the Xerte Conference March 2021.

Link the video recording is below:
Screen recording demonstration at Xerte Conference 2021

mediaspace.nottingham.ac.uk/media/t/1_mae4nrfg#t=23:00

My colleague is trying to use Windows Narrator (and is also hopefully in the future using NVAccess once installed on the laptop).

I have previously tried using Windows Narrator and NVAccess and I downloaded the instructions and user guide.

But I find trying to use the screen readers rather complicated and not intuitive, even when I tried to follow the user guide instructions.

Please can someone who knows how to use screen readers, provide advice on the keyboard strokes and keyboard functions required to use for screen readers Windows Narrator and NVAccess, to be able to enable the reader to navigate and read the screen.

The objective is to be able to navigate all areas of the screen, the Header/Footer and Main area, and the content to be read out aloud by the screen reader.

I'm afraid that providing the instructions is not enough for us, because we are confused by the instructions.

Perhaps even a demonstration with instructions on how to use these screen readers would be really helpful for us, if anyone is happy to volunteer to produce and offer and share their expertise with us?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Screen reader - advice on how to use please 2 years 4 months ago #7812

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I have partially answered my own question.

I have used NVDA software and it reads the Xerte which I have used for testing today. I will do further testing with more complex Xerte projects, but I am pleased with the results I have got from NVDA.

I did not get Windows Narrator working, but that is possibly because I find Windows Narrator rather awkward to use.

But NVDA results were good.
Best regards
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.048 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search