Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keyboard users - how to access descriptive text on drag and drop page using keys 2 years 6 months ago #7680

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Xerte community,
Hopefully you can help with my inquiry.

Question:  How do keyboard users access the descriptive text revealed on the page when successfully matched the drag and drop items?

What instructions should be added here for keyboard users?

xerte.northampton.ac.uk/xertetoolkits/play_4701

An example Xerte is above (not being used, but just an example for use with this question) and I would like to know what instruction text I provide to keyboard users who have successfully matched the drag and drop item, and now need to read all of the descriptive text on the page, which includes using the hyperlinks which may be on the page, and if a lot of text, being able to scroll down that page to read all text.

When I press the tab key it tabs through the screen but not on to the main content screen where the descriptive text is displayed, after matching drag and drop successfully, to reveal the descriptive text.

Hope my inquiry makes sense.
I look forward to hearing from you with some advice.
Best regards
Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keyboard users - how to access descriptive text on drag and drop page using keys 2 years 6 months ago #7698

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Anne
I think there is an issue with the logic in this page for keyboard only use. As I think you realise it works fine for keyboard only users to interact with the page using tab, space and enter but as soon as the keyboard focus moves away from the hotspots and/or items the page text is hidden and therefore any links in that text can't be reached.

I've listed this as an issue and we'll have a look at fixing this if we can but as a short term solution you could add an instruction on your first page that any links shown during the interaction are available from x where x could be a later page, a standalone page or even just as links on that first page.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Keyboard users - how to access descriptive text on drag and drop page using keys 2 years 6 months ago #7700

• alimcn
  • Thank you received: 7
If the user is using Windows, another option would be for the user to use MouseKeys - set up by clicking on Start button and typing MouseKeys. They need a numbr pad on the keyboard for this but if they are using a laptop they may have equal success with a usb number pad. Mousekeys allows users to move the mouse using the number pad keys and then clicking using the Enter key.
The following user(s) said Thank You: annem

Keyboard users - how to access descriptive text on drag and drop page using keys 1 year 11 months ago #8101

• Fay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Hi Anne
This has been fixed and will work in the new release. Previously, when you tabbed away from a label you had just dropped (to try to reach links in the description text) the description disappeared. The description will now remain on screen until another label has been dragged correctly and the description is replaced,
Thanks
Fay

Keyboard users - how to access descriptive text on drag and drop page using keys 1 year 11 months ago #8102

• annem
  • annem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Fay,
This is great news and thank you and Xerte the development team.
Have a nice weekend.
Anne

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search