Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Audio Transcript 10 years 5 months ago #948

• alimcn
  • alimcn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
It's a good question - I don't know the answer so I'll take it back to the technical folk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Audio Transcript 10 years 5 months ago #950

• julten
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
I see it in this example:
www.nottingham.ac.uk/toolkits/play_9264

Just added sound and transcript, populated both and it works. Not sure what's happening.

Audio Transcript 10 years 4 months ago #985

• alimcn
  • alimcn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi Mark

I see the issue.
The optional Transcript property works for the optional Sound property.

The optional Narration by contrast is designed to provide (if you require it) a voiced version of the instructions on the page. Therefore narration DOESN'T have a transcript because the Narration is the accessibility answer to the text on the page.

By contrast you might wish to add additional audio to describe the image and it's this additional audio that the transcript is designed to capture.

Here's an example to demo this vle.jisctechdis.ac.uk/xot/play.php?template_id=318 - I had two sound files, a wind one which I put as Narration (Ok, it's not a narration of text but it's what was handy late in a friday afternoon!).

I then had a separate sound file of rattling bones (don't ask - it's the Valley of the Dry Bones story). I added this via Optional properties > Sound. I then added the Transcript via Optional properties > Transcript.

You'll see the transcript shows attached to the sound player, NOT the Narration player at the bottom. So do this:
* Add an optional Sound property to the page and link it to the MP3 you used for the narration (copy and paste the path from the Narration dialogue box)
* delete the Narration dialogue box
* preview the file and you should have the audio next to the image with a transcript button below it.

Key thing to remember is this:
Optional Property > Narration is the audio file that describes existing text so it doesn't need a transcript
Optional Property > Sound is additional information (maybe describing image?) which is otherwise undescribed and therefore requires a transcript... which can be added via Optional Properties
The following user(s) said Thank You: berthelemy

Audio Transcript 10 years 4 months ago #986

• berthelemy
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Alistair,
I see the logic now!
Regards,
Mark

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search