Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

File management 3 years 8 months ago #6773

• Beth
  • Beth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
As a Learning Technologist, I sometimes have to help other members of staff with their Xerte projects, and I end up being co-author on a lot of things that I don't need access to any more. It would be great if I could remove myself from a project so that it no longer appears in my files once I have finished helping on it.
It would also be useful to be able to 'lock' a project so that once it is published and in use I can't accidentally delete or alter it. I'd want to be able to unlock it if there were any changes that needed to be made, but having an extra step before being able to change things on live projects would make me feel a bit safer!

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

File management 3 years 8 months ago #6774

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Beth
a few quick comments...

I know the problem well with lots of projects created by others and shared with me for support or collaborative development cluttering my workspace. What I usually do is create a single shared project folder or multiple folders by project or author name and then tuck those shared projects away until further support is needed. However you can already un-share yourself too if you wish - just visit the properties for that project then the sharing tab and click the link that says: Click to stop sharing this project. e.g. what that really means is remove my shared access to this project and then it will disappear from my workspace. The creator doesn't get any automatic notification that you've removed yourself but will see that the project is no longer shared with you in their workspace or via properties.

Deleting a whole project is obviously different to preventing editing. As you may know you can't delete a project that you aren't the creator/owner of (not even as co-author) and if/when you do delete a project that you are the creator of you are first prompted "are you sure..." and then when you click ok it still only goes in the recycle bin and isn't fully deleted until you either manually empty the whole recycle bin or open it and manually delete that particular project. You can also restore any projects in the recycle bin simply by dragging them back into your workspace. If you click to delete a project in the recycle bin again you are first prompted whether or not you want to permanently delete that project.

There isn't a check whether or not a project is published before deleting, or a prevent deletion if published. The reason for this is just because a project is published doesn't mean it is more important than if it is private or shared via other means. You can also see the public/private/other status in the workspace but again this isn't really a reliable indication of shouldn't be deleted. However we might be able to add a reminder of the status in the delete prompt so will add that to our discussion/wishlist.

As for locking a project to prevent changes by yourself (or any shared users) again I can't see that being valid just for published projects but I can see an option to manually lock a project to prevent any changes (including by yourself or any shared users) until manually unlocked, being useful for other reasons so again will add this to our discussion/wishlist.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: JohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search