Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the place for questions about learning design and pedagogy; how to use different page types for different purposes.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Decision Tree vs Connector Pages 3 years 7 months ago #6796

• dax045
  • dax045's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Xerte Community

I hope this is not a dumb question. I would be really grateful, if someone could briefly explain when one would use a Decision Tree or a set of Connector pages to guide a user through a set of questions/pages, dependent on which question they picked, or does it not really matter which. I am trying to decide which functionality would work best and give the most functionality/flexibility.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards. Rachel O'Callaghan

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Decision Tree vs Connector Pages 3 years 7 months ago #6797

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Rachel
I may be guessing wrongly at what you are trying to achieve but the basic difference between the Decision tree page and the connector pages is as follows:
The Decision tree page is meant for building a sequence of decisions and branching that is within that page itself not for linking to other Xerte pages. It also provides an overview of those choices at the end and the ability to view the other choices too. So its really a sequence of decisions and interactions within itself which also contains some additional functionality linked to those choices. Example via xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=116#resume=47
There is also a separate decision tree template for creating projects purely based around decision interactions e.g. www.nottingham.ac.uk/toolkits/play_11196

The connector pages are meant for providing an interaction which, based on what the user does, connects to other pages or displays additional content. Example of each of the connector pages starting at xot.xerte.org.uk/play.php?template_id=116#resume=35
These days you could also build the same kind of non-linear navigation by turning off the default navigation on any page and using xerte page links to link to different pages depending on what the user selects e.g. you could use a normal multiple-choice page with different page links in the correct and wrong feedback or use different xerte page links attached to text or images on a plain text page that then link to different pages in the resource. So you aren't limited to using the 3 different connector pages but obviously you can use those too.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/
The following user(s) said Thank You: dax045

Decision Tree vs Connector Pages 3 years 7 months ago #6798

• dax045
  • dax045's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Ron - many thanks for taking the time to answer my question - really appreciate it.

• Page:
Moderators: ingdon
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search