Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can moodle run a remote xerte package 5 years 1 month ago #5659

• ronxerte5
  • ronxerte5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello:

I know little more about Moodle than what it is. I have a client with moodle who is asking if they can develop courses on our platform (xerte) then run it from moodle. We can export a SCORM package for them to import. However is there a way they can embed or link from their moodle server to our server and run the package using a URL and have it track into their moodle system? IE our package remains on our server and they run it from an embedded link in moodle?

Thanks, just hoping this might work, expecting it won't.
Ron

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can moodle run a remote xerte package 5 years 1 month ago #5660

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
much depends on what kind of tracking is required including what's actually in the Xerte LO. e.g. if there isn't one or more scoring interactions in an LO then no score will go to the grade book anyway. However assuming there are scoring interactions then there are 3 possible options:
1. export from Xerte as SCORM and import into Moodle as SCORM.
2. Use the xAPI and Lti options in Xerte and provide your client an account and co-author access to the relevant projects in your Xerte install so that they can view the xAPI dashboard for those projects with all the much richer tracking that provides. However you will need an LRS for this option and with an LRS you could also build your own views of the data in the LRS and provide your client with access to that.
3. In theory using Lti 2.0 you can use just an Lti link from Xerte to Moodle and have Lti pass the completion score to Moodle. However at the moment I think something isn't quite working with that and also even if it does work I suspect your client will require more tracking than that will provide.
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Last edit: by ronm. Reason: typo

Can moodle run a remote xerte package 5 years 1 month ago #5661

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Just an addition.
You don't need LTI 2.0 for option 3. And it should work, but still requires some testing tweeking. That option is only available in the latest unstable version. It does not work in the latest release.

Can moodle run a remote xerte package 5 years 1 month ago #5662

• ronxerte5
  • ronxerte5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Ron and Tom for that information. Sounds like the SCORM zip export is the best current option, at least for the client.

Can I ask Tom - you mentioned we don't need LTI 2.0 - we are now two versions back in xerte, when was LTI added? Is there a possibility to make this work in an older version, or does anyone know when a new stable release might occur with this option available?

Ron - forgive me I don't know what you mean by 'LRS', in your #2 are you meaning the client could interface from a moodle Xapi interface to our xerte authoring tools?

It's sounds like #3 the LTI link would be most preferable, but I'm not sure even where to start with that or if our stuff here is too old. Ron - your youtube videos part 1 / part 2 - in part 1 you covered linking/embedding - are you using LTI there?

Thanks for your feedback.
Ron

• Page:
Moderators: alimcnronm
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search