Supporting each other

Community forums

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place for more technical questions for those who want to create new pagetypes or bespoke functionality.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6897

• dickielayden
  • dickielayden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all
I've been a happy Xerte user for many years.

Rather than publish and host our LOs I prefer to export the Deployment version and host on our VLE (Canvas)
Up until really recently this has been fine - I basically unzip the deployment package to the files area of a course and then link to index.htm from a course page

This has been working flawlessly - until now!

now when I try to link to the index page I get the dreaded - Project data has not loaded error

I've upgraded to the latest version of Xerte but I feel that the problem is probably to do with the way Canvas is storing/serving files now..

Its a long shot but if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful

Rich

Please Inloggen or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6898

• JohnSmith
  • Thank you received: 71
Hi Rich,

I'm not familiar with the repository that Canvas uses but in Blackboard Content Collection you have to select an option that allows the user to access all the files in the containing folder so i'd check permissions on the folder that the files are in...If possible make them completely public and then you will be able to confirm or rule that out.

Regards,

John

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6899

• dickielayden
Cheers John

Indeed - we used to have Blackboard here too and I remember having to do that in order to share the LOs
There's no such setting in Canvas and until really recently everything was working with them on Canvas

The error I see if I look at Chrome Dev tools talks about CORS policy which is why I'm fearing that they have changed their files cdn or something.
(but sadly my brain hasn't wrapped itself around what that actually means)
Attaching a screenshot in case anyone can throw any light on it (to me it looks like one part of Canvas can't talk to another... but I'm a bit of a dimwit)

Obviously Canvas are saying that this is not part of their core functionality so won't be offering any support :(

Cheers
Attachments:

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6900

• JohnSmith
Yes it looks like by restructuring the way they are storing files they are causing Cross-Origin restriction to come into play. There are ways around it but you would most likely have to ask them to fix it because they need to adjust their response headers to allow it...

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/CORS

John

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6901

• dickielayden
Thanks very much John - much appreciated
<shakes fist at Corporate Canvas> (This is why I always preferred Moodle :( )
Rich

Adding to VLE 3 years 6 months ago #6902

• JohnSmith
Hi Rich,

Out of curiosity, what happens if you use the Offline version instead of the Deployment version export. It's been pointed out that there were some changes made in that for similar reasons (restrictions on loading xml files locally in a browser).. Despite being saying "offline" you might find that it actually works in your case and if it did, even somewhat, and you were able to feedback what does/doesn't work then we may be able to do something quicker rather than later to fix this issue... I'm sure Canvas wont be the only ones doing this both now or in the future...

Regards,

John

• Page:
Moderators: JohnSmith
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search