Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Report any technical problems you discover and discuss solutions.

TOPIC:

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 2 months ago #4936

• A511197
  • A511197's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Background
Xerte learning objects have been created using the SCORM compliant page templates (mostly quiz questions).The Xerte LO has then been exported using "Get SCORM 1.2 package." This has then been set-up in Blackboard Learn (Release 3100.0.3-rel.51+917ccd3) using the "Build Content-Content Package (SCORM)" . The students have one attempt at the quiz.

Issue
Some students are displaying as "attempt in progress" (see attachment) even though it looks like they have completed all the questions, as indicated by the "grade attempts" view.

I should add, these Xerte LO are being used to facilitate a flipped classroom approach and as such the students are in the Xerte objects, sometimes for over an hour, reading papers, watching videos. Not sure if that impacts the main issue.

Questions
Is this a bug?
Is the student missing out a step that completes the progress of passing a score through to the Blackboard Learn grade centre column?
Anyone had this issue with Xerte SCORM packages in Blackboard Learn?
What can I do to resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance
Alison
If you can use Lego, you can use Xerte
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by A511197.

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 1 month ago #4945

• A511197
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Xerte Community,

If anyone can shed some light as to why the SCORM 1.2 package is returning the status "incomplete" when students have clearly answered and submitted all the MCQ's I'd be really grateful. If this can't be resolved I will have to stop using Xerte SCORM packages.

Thanking you in advance
Alison

Alison Christie wrote: Background
Xerte learning objects have been created using the SCORM compliant page templates (mostly quiz questions).The Xerte LO has then been exported using "Get SCORM 1.2 package." This has then been set-up in Blackboard Learn (Release 3100.0.3-rel.51+917ccd3) using the "Build Content-Content Package (SCORM)" . The students have one attempt at the quiz.

Issue
Some students are displaying as "attempt in progress" (see attachment) even though it looks like they have completed all the questions, as indicated by the "grade attempts" view.

I should add, these Xerte LO are being used to facilitate a flipped classroom approach and as such the students are in the Xerte objects, sometimes for over an hour, reading papers, watching videos. Not sure if that impacts the main issue.

Questions
Is this a bug?
Is the student missing out a step that completes the progress of passing a score through to the Blackboard Learn grade centre column?
Anyone had this issue with Xerte SCORM packages in Blackboard Learn?
What can I do to resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance
Alison

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 1 month ago #4946

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Alison
I'm afraid I'm too busy with other things to respond properly today but I would suggest the following test:

Create a copy of your LO in Xerte and remove all the pages apart from the quiz. Export and import that as SCORM and check if completion is then triggered.

It's quite common for different VLE/LMS to deal with SCORM slightly differently and even variations like opening in a new window or within the vle frame can have an impact because of how the vle/lms picks up closing/ending the attempt etc. However the most common confusion here is where a quiz and other interactions are correctly scored but the completion status isn't. This can happen where the learner hasn't viewed all the pages within the LO which is why there is an optional property for each page to that include that for completion status. But the first test I would do is to remove the other pages and see if completion is then triggered.

There are certainly other Xerte organisations who use Blackboard who may be able to share their thoughts and findings.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 1 month ago #4956

• A511197
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the response.

Testing in a Windows environment worked fine. Even without the tracking score optional property I was getting a grade in the Blackboard Learn Grade Centre but I've added it in to see if this will resolve the issues students are experiencing. A lot of the students are using Macs with Safari. I have recommended that they use Chrome or Firefox, again as I have tested my LO's with these browsers and they work.

I think for some students the issue has been they haven't been clicking "check" but others do report they did click "check" but still get "attempt in progress." Further checks and tests today to try and resolve this issue.

thanks,
Alison

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 1 month ago #4960

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 244
Hi Alison
I would expect the scores and interactions to be tracked ok as long as the settings are correct but triggering completion is slightly different. In the most recent versions of Xerte there's an optional property for each page where you can set completion not required. That's particular important if you have navigation that allows the user to skip particular pages. So an LO with just a quiz and nothing else should always track the scores and show as complete but others where there is a mix of static pages and interactions can show as incomplete if every page hasn't been visited. But there are other potential reasons for incomplete status including LO settings, LMS/VLE settings, user behaviour etc etc. That's why I suggested a simple test because that should confirm that technically all is ok and then you can start narrowing down the cause/solution. There was a bug with particular version/revision with triggering completion status but that was fixed some time ago.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte SCORM package issues 6 years 1 day ago #5013

• emma_vb
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm having the same issue in the scorm cloud, I can see that completion is at 50% despite 100% of the questions being answered.

Is there a way to 'trick' the system at all?

I've gone down to one question and it is still displaying the same error so I am assuming there is a Xerte/Scorm Cloud issue, unfortunately I HAVE to get this fixed in the Scorm Cloud...

Moderators: ronmjultenjjs
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search