Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stuck at Database Creation 8 years 7 months ago #3088

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi
just to add to the questions and suggestions Tom has already made - are you using shared hosting rather than a VPS or dedicated plan? If you are I suspect your database name is actually accountname_xertedb and database user is accountname_xertedb and I doubt you have mysql root credentials.
So if your accountname is cl42 then both database name and database user will be preceded by that and usually separated by underscore but with your hosting provider could be hyphen I suppose.
Also you mentioned creating the empty db and db user but with cpanel you then need to select Add user to database and grant all permissions for that user to that database did you do that?
HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stuck at Database Creation 8 years 7 months ago #3098

• EleanorVT
  • EleanorVT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I am using shared hosting. I emailed my hosting provider and suggested that I may not have permissons to allow XOT to do it's thing (They were not familar with it so not completly sure it is true). While it might be possible to sort this out I am quite out of my depth and a bit short of time.

All I want to be able to do is to link to my LO from another website. Can I export zip files from a local XAMPP installtion of XOT and upload them to moodle(there is a CGI script to install Moodle on my web hosting and I've got this working. This makes me think there is no reason Xerte shouldn't work...)?
This would be a satisfactory work around for my purposes, unless I have misunderstood and have to have XOT on a server to upload to moodle?

Thank you for all your help!

Stuck at Database Creation 8 years 7 months ago #3099

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
If all you need to do is to link to your LO from another website you don't really need to install Moodle to do that unless you want to control access via Moodle.
You can simply export an LO as a deployment zip, upload and extract somewhere online then link to the index.htm file. e.g. if you have cpanel access to your webserver as described just use the file manager to create a folder, upload and extract the deployment zip.

But you should be able to install XOT. Did you check the exact username, database name and permissions I mentioned previously? In cpanel select MySQL databases...
Current databases shows a list of Databases, Size, Privielged Users and actions. That should display the exact values you need to use for databasename and databaseusername which as I mentioned are usually accountname_databasename and accountname_databaseusername

If you do not see a database_username alongside your xerte database you need to select the option lower down to Add User to Database and select all privileges when doing so.

Then re-run the XOT /setup in your browser and follow the instructions.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Stuck at Database Creation 8 years 7 months ago #3100

• robb
  • Thank you received: 3
Personally I wouldn't use XoT to make use of the LO's. Only to create LO's.
If you have Moodle, I would choose that (or another Electronic Learning Environment) over a default website to make LO's available.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search