Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

One click installation of Xerte online Toolkits V3 8 years 8 months ago #3043

• robb
  • robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
I have been using Xerte online toolkits for about a year now. I ended up with using Xerte because I am an advocate of opensource and open content. And imo Xerte is the best solution making it possible to do AND opensource AND open content.

Besides using Xerte I have been helping out at a primary school in the French speaking part of Belgium getting their ICT environment up and running. To be able to serve Xerte and an Electronic Learning Environment, about a year ago I discovered the Linux schools project. A group of ICT admins and devs of the Dover Grammar school for Boys
Over 10 years ago they started the development of the Linuxschools project: Karoshi, a linux based server that is able to serve as a domain controller and several educational tools.

The great thing about Karoshi is that it can be a domaincontroller for Windows (Win XP, Win7, Win8 and Win10), Mac and Linux clients. In fact, it also features a Linux client that seamlessly can make use of the services provided by Karoshi server.

All modules available in Karoshi server are 1 click install modules. Karoshi server is very flexible and it is possible to spread modules over several physical or virtual servers.

When Xerte online Toolkits v3 came out, I asked the developers of Karoshi server if it would be possible to create a Xerte module.

There for I am very glad I can announce that as of now, it is possible to install the Xerte module in Karoshi server with a one click install on the module icon in the admin web interface.

Anyone who is willing to try out Karoshi server (on physical hardware or as a VM) is invited to give it a try. You can find the project website at www.linuxschools.com/forum/index-main.php
The forums are available at www.linuxschools.com/forum/
Info on how to install Xerte on a Karoshi server: www.linuxschools.com/karoshi/documentati...ndex.php?title=Xerte
important: make sure to apply all available patches. The current ISO V10.1.2 is from before the development of the Xerte module. After applying the patches, the Xerte module will be available from the add-module options.

I am looking forward to hear any response from the Xerte community on what they think of the Linuxschools project. The Linuxschools project is IMO the most advanced opensource server solution especially aimed at educational environments. Since there are so many options with Karoshi server and Karoshi client, it is impossible for me to cover everything in this first introductory post.

If you want to have quick access to a XoT server, Karoshi is absolutely your friend. Try it, and please comment here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search