Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 8 months ago #3003

• tiga31328
  • tiga31328's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I just installed Xerte on my server (at 1and1.com) last night. The installation routine went through with no issue, it checked and found everything was adequate for the install and after the installation completed there were no errors at all. I am using version 3 with the update.

I did some basic configuration, turned off the Guest account and using 'DB' for accounts and have some accounts setup.

When I Create a Tooklit or template it creates the entry in my Workspace but generates this error,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function dont_show_template() in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/edithtml.php on line 59

If I try to Preview what it has created I get the below errors;

Warning: file_get_contents(911ng.com/xerte/USER-FILES/7-user1-Nottingham//data.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/modules/xerte/preview.php on line 52

Warning: fopen(911ng.com/xerte/USER-FILES/7-user1-Nottingham//preview.xml): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/modules/xerte/preview.php on line 53

Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/modules/xerte/preview.php on line 54

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/modules/xerte/preview.php on line 55

Warning: file_get_contents(911ng.com/xerte/modules/xerte/player_html5/rloObject.htm): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/modules/xerte/play.php on line 139

And as a side note, on every page load I get this error;

/xerte/edithtml.php?template_id=<br%20/><b>Strict%20Standards</b>:%20%20date():%20It%20is%20not%20safe%20to%20rely%20on%20the%20system%27s%20timezone%20settings.%20You%20are%20*required*%20to%20use%20the%20date.timezone%20setting%20or%20the%20date_default_timezone_set()%20function.%20In%20case%20you%20used%20any%20of%20those%20methods%20and%20you%20are%20still%20getting%20this%20warning

My thought is this may be permissions related but I have not found any changes by adjusting any permissions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tiga31328.

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 8 months ago #3004

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
When you installed one of the setup pages should have indicated whether the relevant folders were writeable or not?

Check the USER-FILES folder are project folders being created and if so are xml files being created inside those project folders?

The USER-FILES, import, and error_logs folders all need to be writeable by the webserver user or have additional write permissions applied.

HTH
Ron
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 8 months ago #3005

• tiga31328
Ron,

Thank you for your assistance! I checked USER-FILES and there are project folders created, and there are .xml files in the folders. USER-FILES, import, and error_logs folders are all set to be writeable, I will go through and see if there is some different combination that is causing the issue.

Sincerely,
Patrick

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 7 months ago #3046

• tiga31328
Ron,

I checked the project folders and they do have xml files, and I have tried full permissions and writeable permissions on the USER-FILES, import, and error_logs folders. I continue to have the issues with the errors being generated. Any other ideas?

Thank you again,
Patrick

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 7 months ago #3049

• jayaich
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5

Patrick Malone wrote: Hi,

I just installed Xerte on my server (at 1and1.com) last night. The installation routine went through with no issue, it checked and found everything was adequate for the install and after the installation completed there were no errors at all. I am using version 3 with the update.
And as a side note, on every page load I get this error;

/xerte/edithtml.php?template_id=<br%20/><b>Strict%20Standards</b>:%20%20date():%20It%20is%20not%20safe%20to%20rely%20on%20the%20system%27s%20timezone%20settings.%20You%20are%20*required*%20to%20use%20the%20date.timezone%20setting%20or%20the%20date_default_timezone_set()%20function.%20In%20case%20you%20used%20any%20of%20those%20methods%20and%20you%20are%20still%20getting%20this%20warning
Patrick

The 'config.php' file turns on all PHP errors/warnings and these will be displayed by your browser.
This one is a strict standards warning. You could set the timezone in your php.ini to prevent it showing again, or change the 'development' setting in the config.php file. (I wouldn't do that until you have the other errors resolved though.)

Fatal error: Call to undefined function dont_show_template() in /homepages/29/d92127831/htdocs/911ng/xerte/edithtml.php on line 59

I took a quick look at this, and I suspect you may be hitting a bug here. The dont_show_template function has not been included in the edithtml.php file. (It looks like it is omitted from a couple of others too.) However, it is only called because of another detected problem - the 'template_id' is either not set or not numeric (around line 59 of edithtml.php shows this).

There is a debug statement in the code which should be written to a debug file. You haven't specified the type of server you are using, but for windows see if the 'c:\debug.log' file exists or for other O/S look for '/tmp/debug.log'. The file should contain information about what is going wrong. You might need to set XOT_DEBUG_LOGFILE to 'c:\debug.log' in the config.php file in order to get the debug file created.

Note: In my case (Linux) the tmp/debug.log is not created for some reason. I suspect this is another PHP/Apache permissions thing. I set the file location to the Xerte import directory and it created it there with no problem. For Windows users I suspect the c:\debug.log may not exist. The config.php file sets XOT_DEBUG_LOGFILE to /tmp/debug.log. But when '_debug' is called, the functions.php file sets the debug log file location to c:\debug.log then overwrites that with the value of XOT_DEBUG_LOGFILE. I'm not sure how PHP or Windows will handle '/tmp/debug.log', but I would not be surprised if the file was not created.

John.

Xerte is installed but not functioning completely 8 years 7 months ago #3065

• tiga31328
John,

Thank you for your assistance! I have tried setting the php.ini and resolved the time zone issue, however, I still have the other errors. Any idea how I can work around this potential bug, or can you recommend an older version that I could install to get past the bug?

I am using a hosted Linux server with 1and1.com.

Thanks again,
Patrick

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search