Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Upgrade Path 10 years 1 month ago #1179

• SOASBruce
  • SOASBruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

Is there documentation anywhere relating to upgrade paths, dependencies, compatibilities, etc between versions of XOT?

We're currently running a production web-based install of v1.91 and are looking to upgrade to the latest version - v2.1 as of writing.

I've found links to www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/assets/Documents/E.../networkingxerte.pdf which is a set of slides, with some annotation, from a JISC presentation in March 2013.
That gives an overview of the process, but no detail of what's in each release; if there are any incompatibilities or dependencies between releases; if a particular upgrade path needs to be taken 'through' releases; etc.

I assume the jump from 1.n to 2.n versioning was due to the adoption of HTML5.
Does this switch have any impact on existing content? Will our LOs created in v1.91 still work with v2.1?

I think it would very helpful to have some documentation to cover these things.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upgrade Path 10 years 1 month ago #1180

• coursenligne
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm not the best to answer.... But as I'm here :)
OK I have a principle (an easy one :) )
For minor release you are 100%sure the database structure didn't change at all.
This means that you download the resource, unzip it and transfer/replace the unziped content right in the place you installed XOT.
No worries, as only existing files are replaced, so no risk at all for your work.

Anyway it's worth doing a "snapshot", or save all before, just in case :)

For major releases, it depends on your environment. I therefore only give you the way I work, i'm sure it's not the best but at least it is working !
I install the new version as a fresh install (with a different database name !)
I save/export all my work and import it (do not copy/past !)
I check all is ok, and when i'm satisfied, i remove the older XOT and then drop the corresponding database.
So far it has worked for quite a time ;)
If I can help I will do for sure...

Upgrade Path 10 years 1 month ago #1181

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
In the 2.1 zip file you'll find a folder called documentation. Please have a look at guide_to_upgrading_an_existing_installation.pdf. It shows you two different routes to do an upgrade.

In principle, upgrading from 1.91 to 2.x is a matter of installing over the top and running the upgrade.php script.

You could make a copy of the current installation (including the DB), and do the upgrade on the copy.

All current LO's will still be usable. By default they will still use the Flash runtime engine, but you can switch to the new HTML5 engine in the properties dialog (and back to flash if it doesn't work as expected).

Upgrade Path 10 years 1 month ago #1182

• SOASBruce
  • SOASBruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help. I'll download, unzip, and check out the pdf.

Would it be an idea to have an area on the community website that contained these instructions - and also any other info about what's in each release?

Cheers,

Bruce

PS Thanks Eric for your reply as well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search