Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.

TOPIC:

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 2 months ago #1110

• rflurey
  • rflurey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I recently installed the latest version of Xerte 2.1 on Debian Squeeze (6.04) and seem to get an intermittent problem where the login form disappears after a few minutes. I had fixed many issues with the language files, particularly screen_display.js which didn't seem to be placed inside the website_code for the en_GB folder. I also fixed some issues with jquery and other javascript pointing to googleapis on the internet which wasn't loading properly, instead changing it to point to localised javascript but the issue still persists.

I either have to reload the page numerous times or restart apache. I tried adding in mod_expires and setting the expiry to immediate for all php, js scripts etc and that also made no difference. Also, I updated the php libraries which didn't help either.

This problem also seemed to exist in Xerte 2.0 as well. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, do you recall if there was an apache or php setting that perhaps needs to be changed? I notice this problem does not occur running Xerte on XAMPP in Windows but I am still hoping to make a switch to Linux.

Thanks,
Richard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 2 months ago #1111

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
That's strange behaviour, and you're the first to report it. I've got a few installations on Linux and I've never experienced this.

Also, I am not aware of any timer, call-back, or whateever that would cause the page to reload, or cause any changes on the page after it is displayed, so I wouldn't know what triggers the disappearance.

I know of the screen_display.js issue (and that will be fixed in the next release), but that shouldn't cause this issue.

Do you know why the javascript files from googleapis would cause issues for you? Are you behind a firewall? Proxy? Caching proxy (i.e. squid)?

The only thing I can suggest, because you mention, it helps to restart Apache, is looking at waht php caching engine you use, and what happens if you switch caching off.

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 2 months ago #1112

• rflurey
  • rflurey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Tom,

What I meant is that I am manually reloading the page in the web browser several times to get it working again which sometimes works but mostly I am forced to restart Apache. Since it's a test server I deliberately don't use PHP caching at all to avoid any such issues.

The links to the internet based javascript code is probably an issue because of where the test server is placed on our network and is subject to some firewall and proxy rules. Therefore I removed the link <link href='fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Cabin' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'> from index.php and modified the link in the html5 player (rloObject.htm) from

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

to

<script src="%TEMPLATEPATH%common_html5/js/jquery-1.7.1.min.js"></script>

Those issues aside, it still doesn't explain why the frontpage doesn't render the login form after a few loads so I'm still scratching my head at this stage.

I appreciate any further advice you can offer.

Cheers,
Richard

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 1 week ago #1533

• klaashobo
  • Thank you received: 0
I also have these problems, exactly the same. Sometimes I can login, sometimes I cannot. After refreshing te page for about 5 to 20 time sometimes I can login. Other times when I just wait for a few minutes I can login again.

If I restart apache I can login right away.

Don't know how to deal with these problems. I'm on Xerte 2.1 also and experience the problems now for more then 4 weeks.

Regards,
Klaas

Last edit: by klaashobo.

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 1 week ago #1534

• tom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 308
Can you please supply screenshots? Of the situation with login, and then after the login box has disappeared?

Login form disappears from front-page 10 years 1 week ago #1535

• ronm
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 245
Also for anyone with this problem what authentication method are you using? e.g. what do you have selected/uncommented in auth_config.php?
Xerte developer & trainer
e-learning & m-learning consultant
mitchellmedia.co.uk | xerteacademy.com | learningapps.co.uk
Note: Support here is voluntary and meant for users to support each other.
Need direct commercial support with Xerte? mitchellmedia.co.uk/contact/

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search