Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Questions on getting Xerte Toolkits installed on your server and questions about authentication and user logins.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Migrating DB users and project files 5 years 5 months ago #5417

• takeshi
  • takeshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
I would like to migrate all custom content from a XOT 3.5 installation (IIS 7, Win 2008 Server) to a new XOT X installation (in cPanel via Softaculous). This includes users, project files, themes. For now I have been focusing on Db users and their project files. In testing with copying to a XAMPP installation, I have copied the USER-FILES content over and exported/imported the toolkits_data as .sql file. The user logins appear to have gone over OK, and in management.php I can see the Users and Users Projects listed. However, when logged in as a user, none of the projects appear, only the folder structure. Also, in the management.php Users Projects, I cannot preview or access any properties of projects, despite being admin. Clearly I'm missing something.

What is the best procedure for migrating? As I'm still testing, I'm happy to start again from the beginning. If there is existing documentation on doing this, please point me in its direction. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Migrating DB users and project files 5 years 5 months ago #5418

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
As far as I can tell, you missed a small step.

If I follow you, you restored the database from the previous installation, correct?

If so, you should run http://<xerte install>/upgrade.php

Also, if you did overwrite the sitedetails table, you should check the paths in the managemen.php page.

Normal procedure for moving an install:

1. Copy and restore database
2. Copy the installation
3. Edit database.php
4. In the database, in the table sitedetails change: site_url, import_path and root_file_path

Normal procedure for upgrading:
1. Install full installer over existing installation
2. run http(s)://<xerte url>/upgrade.php

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: takeshi

Migrating DB users and project files 5 years 5 months ago #5423

• takeshi
  • takeshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks, Tom! Those two steps of running upgrade.php and correcting the paths in management.php were exactly what was needed.

Regarding the normal procedure for moving an install, step 2. "copy the installation" - is it safe to copy/merge the whole lot if the new installation is a newer XOT version than the original one? If wanting to keep the new installation "clean" and just transfer custom data, then what are the specific folders that are essential to copy?

Migrating DB users and project files 5 years 5 months ago #5426

• tom
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 305
The USER-FILES folder. All the user content is in the USER-FILES folder together with the database.

One possible exception might be any custom theme (in the theme folder)
The following user(s) said Thank You: takeshi

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds
Copyright © 2024 The Xerte Project.
Xerte logo Apereo logo OSI Logo

Search