Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MAXOS image file VS .zip

MAXOS image file VS .zip 5 years 6 months ago #723

• John Smith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Thomas,

Reading through the previous post and noting the issue with Windows Explorer copying the files was very familiar to me... on not such an old laptop it took about an hour to copy all the files from the zip to the stick...

I often create boot sticks of Ubuntu and other linux variants and 'burn' the stick direct from an 'img' file which takes a lot less time... a couple of minutes usually...

Perhaps we could package MAXOS in a similar way - it would certainly speed up the process of making several of them, say if you needed to do an offline class...

What do you think? Happy to assist or provide instructions...

John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MAXOS image file VS .zip 5 years 6 months ago #727

• Thomas Rochford
  • MAXOS Developer
Hi John,

I'ld need to think about this. I had considered it, but ruled it out as a step too far for some users who may not know how to handle ISO images. I agree it's faster, but not necessarily simpler, because of this. Also I'm not sure whether the .img file is compressed. I'ld welcome some guidance from you on the best software to use with W8. I have a U3 drive and that's pretty quick. I also have a stick copier and that can make seven copies of a stick in as many minutes, so it's not really a problem for me :-)

MAXOS image file VS .zip 5 years 6 months ago #731

• John Smith
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Hi Thomas,

If you've explored the situation previously and think that it is a step too far then that's fine - maybe though some suggestion of what software is best to use to do the copy is all that is required. I know my first instinct is always to just let windows deal with the zip (which it usually does fine) but in situations like this, with tens of thousands of files it is pretty dire...

I never really think of the situation of compressed vs uncompressed anymore since i'm pretty much always on a decent connection (at home or Uni) but yeah that might be a consideration although providing both options (especially for more technically minded people) 'might' be useful...

As for W8, i've steered clear of it pretty much - what is the issue? Running of your software to speed up the copy process or running of the actual MAXOS pen drive?

John

MAXOS image file VS .zip 5 years 6 months ago #732

• Tom Reijnders
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 154
We can test if you want, we've got two W8 machines. (We're desperately waiting for W8.1, not having a Start Menu requires definitely getting used to)
Moderators: Thomas Rochford
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds